Thread: 200g weight gain in 3 weeks...

Default 200g weight gain in 3 weeks...

I'm just a tiny bit worried about Emma's latest weight. She was weighed at 9 weeks and weighed 4.52kg & today (at 12 weeks) she weighed 4.72kg (at the same place, same scales). I have heard 150g a week is the 'norm'. My instinct tells me not to worry - she is very happy, feeds well, sleeps well, has lots of wet & pooey nappies (although some of her wet ones are lighter than usual ATM). I just want to be sure I shouldnt be having her checked out. The silly thing is, if I didnt have her weighed I wouldnt be worrying at all.

Kirsty77 Guest

I wouldn't worry Linda. Gemma only gained 200gm in a 2-3 time span. The RN said that as long as she is gaining and not losing then all is well. Some weeks Gemma gains like 300gm then in others is a struggle for her to gain 100gm.

DON'T WORRY! I went through this with Paris, she hardly put on any weight in the first 12 mths, and everytime she got sick we went into damage control because she wouldn't eat and every dr and MCHN had us panicking! When we finally saw a paed who told us she has her own pattern and not to worry. I'm sure Emma is doing fine, every kid does there own thing, and unless she starts to lose weight I wouldn't worry at all. I hate those charts :fuming: I swear they cause us parents more grief than anything else LOL!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Thanks so much Kirsty & Cailin!! I'm not going to get myself worked up then.

Cailin, what a great paed to say that! I guess Em has her own pattern too, and as long as she is well & happy I'm happy!

I wouldnt worry. Lily didn't put anothing on between 6 and 8 months old. Shes over 12 months now and is only about 9.5kgs but she eats like a horse!

Hi Linda

Dont worry hun

The 150g you are talking about is the average weight gain. And so far in my job I dont think I have ever seen an 'average' baby. As long as your little girl is putting weight on everything is fine.
    Also you are doing the right thing by checking her nappy. :smt023

Yay! Thanks so much everyone!! Shannon, that is interesting about the 2-4 month mark - if only we all knew all this before it happened LOL. I should go and check the older babies buddies threads to know what else to expect!!!

Pietta Guest

I am glad everyone was able to help you out Linda coz Ryley just bulked up the whole time- he was on the 100th percentile his whole life for everything!!

I agree with Cailin and Alan- the charts give us more grief than anything else!!

Also dont forget about whats inside bubs tummy each time you weigh. If they have just been fed, and haven't done a poo, chances are they will be a bit heavy, and this might distort the difference between weighins.

Fi

Also an other thing. The charts and guidlines we use are based on bottle fed babies not breast fed. I believe that there are some new charts out for breastfed babies but as yet I have not been able to get one of them.

Really Alan? Why would they assume the average baby is bottlefed? Is that more common? They should have both available!! Bottlefed babies are usually heavier arent they?

Fi, thats a good point, she had pooed a lot in the day before being weighed, but she has often gone days without pooing before....

Fi - I have often thought that myself. They never ask has she just had a feed or a poo, maybe they should.

Linda - I've been going through the same thing with Maggie, one weigh in will be good, the other will be low. I get mixed messages from my MCHN about it. One weigh in she told me she only gets concerned if the weight and height differ by 20 percentiles. Well last weigh in it did, but she didn't show much concern and has booked the next appointment for 2 months time. If a 20 percentile difference is a matter for concern, then shouldn't she have made the next appointment a bit sooner? I am still struggling with trying not to worry about it.

thanks Kate I will do that

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

The current MCHN charts are also American from the 1970's aren't they? Bit of a worry. Marisa lost weight at one visit after the M&B Unit and then weight gain was very slow but the MCHN was fine with it, as she was alert, happy and healthy. I was just lucky to have a good MCHN then, some are shocking.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Yeah, they are American. But they also don't take into consideration, parental body shape, ethnicity etc that can all have an effect on bub's weight and size. My first put on a pound a week and was 13.5kg at 1yr. My 1st girl barely put on 150g a wk and I used to go crazy about it, but when #3 came, she was in the middle of the two and I was OK with that. But it is so easy to worry especially if you get a cow of a MCHN.

"Fi - I have often thought that myself. They never ask has she just had a feed or a poo, maybe they should"

With my eldest, Brendan was born in 1993, they used to ask about if he had just been fed and whether or not he had pooed. Maybe they should go back to asking again.

linda oscar only gains an average of 100g a week. as long as bubby is weeing and poohing don't worry as all have said. katanya pm me those breastfeeding charts so i am sure she would be happy to send to you. perhaps you could offer her more feeds if her nappys are a bit dryer? by the way someone mentioned that a MCHN had said the %iles shouldn't differ by more than 20%, oscar is 10th % weight and 50% height and 75% head. so i don't know what that nurse is on about?????

dont worry
    beckles

When Eliza was in SCN, and her weight dropping she put on 10 grams a day..the pead that was on a weekend roster said to me ...I hope she hasnt done a poo they can drop like 30 grams. It was the first time I had heard of this.
    Bec