Thread: 3 year old stuttering

Default 3 year old stuttering

My daughter is nearly three and she seems to be stuttering a bit with her "where" "why" and "double u" words and sometimes her "you" etc words. It's generally only when she is either dead tired, or excited.

We tell her to slow down and try and think about what she is trying to say. Most of the time this works but sometimes she seems to be getting frustrated about it.

Her father stuttered at a young age, but is fine now.

I need some advice on when should we start to really worry about it, or is it just an age thing? What is an appropriate age to take her to a speech pathologist.

It can be an age thing, and developmentally related too. DS does it sometimes, mostly when he is realy excited and trying to get the words out really quickly.
    He's almost 3 and a half..if he is still doing it, or it gets more frequent, in 6 months time I am going to take him to a paed. speech pathologist.

Hi Leanne
    My eldest went through the same thing at the same age. She eventually grew out of it.
    If you google Tyquin Speech Pathology you will find some basic info on stuttering, and when to be concerned.

Hi

My almost 3 yo has developed stuttering also - my lovely sister (who has studied childhood development) was quite reassuring explaining that it is a stage for most kids as their mouths just can't keep up with their brains/bodies. It was really confronting for us initially though - I am sure your MCHN or GP could be good resources if you are still concerned.

Lightbulb

Hi we used a speech therapist for our second son,he had what they call a lazy tongue,needed extra help with pronouncing letter`s and had to do mouth and tongue exercises in front of a small mirror,& I had to help him practice what the speech therapist had given us while she was seeing him...alot of competive words,over & over until they can get it right.It`s well worth the money,instead of people saying "What did they say...."God that use to pee me off. Good luck.

Hi,l i just posted the same question, seems like a few 3 year olds start to stutter. My little one has only been doing it for a week or so, but its very obvious.. Will see what happens over the nxt mnth or so

DS1 has been through a course of speech therapy for a stutter. He still does it occassionally but not often (when he is "assessed" it is less than 2% which is considered normal). Mostly stuttering is a phase which will stop by itself. However, if it goes on longer than 9 months or so, it's worth booking in for an assessment to see if it needs treatment. If it does, earlier is much better than later - and definitely before school age.