Thread: 4.5 Month old holding head up....

mum2girl Guest

Default 4.5 Month old holding head up....

I'm just wondering at what age should babies be able to hold their head up for a long period of time when on their tummies?

My 4.5 month DD doesn't seem to be able to hold it up for a very long time, but I'm not sure if that's normal or not??!!?

When I first put her on her tummy she holds it up pretty good for about 10 mins then she just gets really tired and it's like she's got no strength left after that time, and she keeps putting it up and down.....

She's also not really rolling yet....(she may fluke the roll occassionally, but not on purpose), is this normal by this stage?

TIA!

I think she is fine. Every baby is different and 10mins is a pretty long time for her to do it, but like you said, she just gets tired. I don't even think I could lay on my belly and hold my head up for that long with not support LOL!

Bambi Guest

Every baby is different.
    My son was holding is head fine at 6 weeks old. And walked a 7 months old.
    But toilet training, well he is slow on that, he is 3 1/2 years old now and still going, one day he will be good the next day, nope.

Good Luck, let the muscles grow and keep trying, Bubba will get it soon enough.

Just give your baby plenty of tummy time, it will strengthen in time. mind you, 10 minutes is pretty long!! xo

Hi Mum2girl,

My son is the same age and is pretty much the same as your daughter - 10 minutes is about his limit, and has only done a few rollovers and only in the past two weeks. DOes she have a large head circumference? James does and I think this contributes.

Quote Originally Posted by sherieb
    I don't even think I could lay on my belly and hold my head up for that long with not support LOL!
    Good point sherieb!! I don;t think I could either!

Love Pearl

mum2girl Guest

Hey thanks for your responses!

Pearl....she does have a pretty big head....I didn't think of this as a factor.....
    Cheers again!

10 mins is a long time for anyone even an infant I would think plus their attnetion span is limited also. I found my sons huge head meant he couldn't be bothered after a while - even came a hassle when it came to crawling - could get everything else off the ground bar his head

My bubba is 4 months today but he isn't rolling - not even once and he's not that keen on lifting his head up for a long period of time either. I don't think it really matters - they'll all get there in the end!

jackson was holding his head up really well from only a few weeks or so when he was held, but on his tummy he didnt really hold it up well until about the same age as your bubs.