Thread: 4 month old....

Default 4 month old....

Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone knows or experienced the changes that can happen at 4months?

Louis has generally been sleeping well for the last few weeks, but the last few days he's been waking up at 5am for feeds and last night woke up every 2 hours!

I've started him on solids and he's having also one or two extra breastfeeds per day! I sometimes wonder if I've got enough milk for him. When do you think I should worry about that?? He only gained 400g in the last 4 weeks so....

He seems happy enough and he's quite settled for his daytime naps. He has generally about 4hours sleep a day, then normally around a 10-11 hour night (although less at the moment)

The worries of being a mum.....

I nadh woke the last 2 nights & I let her go for a bit, but it was not stopping, so I got up & fed herfor about 15 sucks then she went back to sleep til the morning, but after having been sleeping through & now waking I am so tired!!!

I think that makes a big difference! When your used to getting up it doesn't matter so much because your expecting it...

The feed I gave Louis this morning was like that - he sucked for a couple of minutes and zonked it again!

Its hard to in this weather because our house is warm at night and then cools off through the night so it's hard to dress him properly. I think I'll have to try and find some more light cotton jumpsuits. The fleecy ones are to hot and short sleeves leave his arms to cold.

Of course his waking probably has nothing to do with the weather I just like to have something to blame it on...hehe.

Debbie Lee Guest

Hi Kristie,
    From memory, Gabby also had a bit of a change when she was around 4 months. I think it was for my 4 month check-up at the MCHN that I was told she hadn't put on "enough" weight and that my milk supply must be low. I was encouraged to give her more formula etc. etc. As it turns out, it was probably just a normal 4 month thing for her to have not had such a huge weight gain (and no need for the MCHN to put low supply issues into my head yet again!).
    I think her sleeping habits also changed and we had a couple of off nights.

I really don't think you can attribute what is happening to Louis to any one thing. Give it a week or so and it will probably sort itself out. You are obviously feeding him enough and making sure he is warm enough so he's probably just having a major growth spurt. The frustrating thing when these sort of things happen is that you don't really know what's going on until after it's all over! LOL Kind of like teething symptoms. Often we don't know what's happening until after the toothy-peg pops up!

I'm pretty sure there have been a few mums lately saying the same thing..

I'll go and search for some links...

littlerigger Guest

I was reading Baby Love the other week and I'm sure she said something about there being a change at this stage. Might be a book worthwhile for you to read.

Thanks heaps for your replies!!! I'm sure he'll settle again soon...

Hi Kristie ,

Kaitlyn went through this stage at around 4 months she pretty much went from cat napping in the day to two distinct daytime sleeps. Plus she started to wake during the night for a feed when she has been sleeping from 730 to 530/630ish since she was 6 weeks...now I was getting up to her at 230am sometimes arghhh. So she had some big changes.

I introduced another feed just before bed at 730 and she seems to be sleeping again until 530am ...but still wakes a little early and needs settling. I also introduced solids recently and am sad to say it made no difference ](*,)

I would not worry about the lack of weight gain or your milk as Kaitlyn also slowed in the weight gain around 3.5 months and she is on formula . When I mentioned it to her Dr today he said that was normal as they double in weight in the first 3 months...then slow down their growth.

Cass

at 4 months Maria went from sleeping for 7hours straight at night to waking every 3 hours, she kept this up for nearly a week, then we noticed she had grown plus was much more alert. At 5 months she is still waking at least once at night, but hopefully that will end soon.

I'm so glad you posted this Kristie - I think Emma is going through the same thing! She woke last night at 2.30 & 5am - aarrrhhh. I'm just not used to it. It was a much cooler night though & the extra layer I tucked in got kicked off. Once she's awake though, even if she didnt wake from hunger - she wants a feed LOL. So a feed she gets. Any time after 6am (when DH gets up) she comes into bed with me so I can :sleeping: while she feeds

Cass - Emma has always been a cat napper - I am hoping that she will start condensing her naps into longer day sleeps - you have given me hope!

Kirsty77 Guest

Gemma normally does that say every 4-5 weeks.I'm pretty sure its a growth spurt as she is so much more hungry all the time and just needs those extra feeds at night as well. At one point she was waking hourly at night!!I was a wreck the next day!But then after about 3 days she was back to normal.Don't worry its completely normal for them to do this every now and then.

Last night Indah slept through til 6:45am again, but instead of drinking 200ml before bed, she had a bowl of avocado & sweet potato then a bottle of 250ml!!!
    She didnt wake up at all, til I turned on hairdryer getting ready for work & bathroom is near her room... Then she happily gurgled & played... I wont be surprised though if a tooth pops thru, as she has done really runny poos & is dribbling so much more (already it was like a fountain) plus chewing on my hand all day & there's a bump on the bottom gum...

She also is making more variations in noises & seems to have learnt new things & really belly laughing!!!