Thread: 4 month old's bedtime too late!!!

Default 4 month old's bedtime too late!!!

The reason I'm curious is that the last few nights Jack has been going to bed really late, last night it was 10.45pm!! He seems to be really tired at about 8.30-9pm and goes to bed and sleeps, but then about 45 mins to an hour later he's awake and he doesn't want a bottle, he just wants to play!!!! And he has so much energy, his legs and arms fly everywhere!! And I was so tired last night, so I put his play gym in his cot and he bashed away at it for a good hour!! Then I heard him grizzling, so I went in and took it out and it still took him quite a while to go to sleep....( And DH starts work at 7am so he's well and truly in bed!!)

Just wondering if anyone else has had this kind of problem and what you did about it??? 8-[

I'd really like him to go to sleep and stay asleep earlier, but maybe this is him!! #-o
    Oh and I heard him this morn at 6am, and thought no way is he ready to be up, so I went in and he had kicked all his blankets off. So I tucked him back in, put his dummy in and then he slept till 8am.

Sorry it's a long post...Had too much to say!!

Alex is there a nightly routine?
    I make sure every night of the week, if people are over or not, that Indah has her bath around 8:30 & then a play etc, then she gets her bottle (I have no supply at this time of the day) at about 9-9:15pm... I then wrap her & pop her to bed....
    I am slowly going to move it earlier as she is still asleep at 8am, which is the time I am supposed to be starting work... Most mornings now I am expressing as she is still asleep!
    Ok now I am rambling, but maybe if there is a set time/routine.... as such it might help...? Good luck

Is there any way you can swap it around so he is having his play time before he has his last feed before bed? It may take awhile, but slowly getting earlier and earlier until he is settled at the time you want. Maybe bath/play/feed/bed or play/bath/feed/bed?

Awww I feel for you! Zander was going to bed at about 11pm every night for a long time there, but would wake up reasonably late in the day as well.

To tell you the truth I have no idea how we got around it!! I think Zander just eventually figured it out! Now he goes to bed at about 8pm and gets up at 9am.

We did start a night-time routine which may have helped a bit, but it didn't solve the problem. Now we do dinner, bath, 1/2 an hour later bottle, 1/2 an hour later bed. But that only started at about 8 or 9 months when he went onto solids for dinner.

I was just on the phone to my mum about this very question but mine is the opposite.
    I have put Jordan to sleep at 7pm after his 5pm feed. I normally have to wake him for what should be a 9pm feed at around 10pm and then put him straight back to sleep.
    Because he is going down so early without any playtime after his 10pm feed I think he wakes too early and is getting too much sleep.

I hope you can get around it, maybe he is just an energetic boy. Jordan seems to be the opposite and wants to sleep.

Dont know which is worse, later to bed or earlier to rise?

Kirsty77 Guest

Hey Alex

How is that little cutie of yours doing?

Gemma goes to bed at 7pm (roughly) every night. Her last bottle is at 7pm, so right before she goes to sleep and she wakes at 6am every morning nearly on the dot as thats when Corey gets up and she hears him!!I think its a personal thing as to when you put them to bed.I mean Corey and I only put her to bed then as it gives us some time together. And now shes so used to going to bed at 7pm that she gets so grumpy if its any later!

Goodluck and let me know how you get on,,.....

Thanks guys!!

The little cutie has been still doing the late thing at night, so we are gonna have to do something about it ](*,)

Nick and I would like some time 2gether, as we seem to be getting none cause he gets up at 6am for work,so he's in bed early!!

Jack has been waking up at about 7.30am every morn, having a bottle, then by 8am, he's asleep again till 10.30 - 11am!!! I guess he's just so tired from going to bed so late

I have tried to keep him awake after his first bottle, but to no avail. When they wanna sleep, nothing can stop them!!

Kirsty, what's Gemma's average day like?? What time does she have her bottles and sleeps? And does she ever wake up after you put her down?

Thanks again... :flower:

Thanks guys!!

The little cutie has been still doing the late thing at night, so we are gonna have to do something about it ](*,)

Nick and I would like some time 2gether, as we seem to be getting none cause he gets up at 6am for work,so he's in bed early!!

Jack has been waking up at about 7.30am every morn, having a bottle, then by 8am, he's asleep again till 10.30 - 11am!!! I guess he's just so tired from going to bed so late

I have tried to keep him awake after his first bottle, but to no avail. When they wanna sleep, nothing can stop them!!

Kirsty, what's Gemma's average day like?? What time does she have her bottles and sleeps? And does she ever wake up after you put her down?

Thanks again... :flower: