Thread: 4 week just won't sleep!

Default 4 week just won't sleep!

Hi Everyone,

My 4 week old has suddenly decided it is so much more fun to fight sleep than to sleep. Usually I can get her to go down between 2200 and 2300 hours and she will sleep for about 4 hours before waking for a feed, goes straight back to sleep after her feed and wakes in another 3-4 hours for another feed and then goes down for another 2-4 hours. Then it's over - she will stay awake as long as she can and (if I'm lucky) she might sleep for 10 minutes or (if I'm REALLY lucky) go down for a few hours at about 1400 hours. I've run through the gauntlet of things each time, nappy, too hot/cold, hungry, thirsty, wind... Always fine. I use the same routine each time, a cuddle, a kiss, "time for sleep, Mummy loves you", in the bassinet and walk out. We gave up swaddling because it made her more distressed. By the end of the day she will fall asleep in our arms (but usually wakes when you try to put her in bed) and I really don't want this to become habit. Can anyone give me ideas on how to deal with getting DD to sleep??????

TIA

MG *yawn*

At 4 weeks we used the bouncer alot for most of her day sleeps as we also had probs, that way I could just rock it with my foot while resting on the couch and once asleep I didn't have to move her. Also the pram, just pushing it back and forth.
    At 4 weeks I really wouldn't worry bout "bad habits" its easier just to find what works and go with it, especially for the first 3 months.
    Good luck!

I'd second checking out Pinky's advice. We used the bouncer for day sleeps early on too.

It also sounds like pretty classic Wonder Week behaviour - week 5 is the first WW. I have found this book to be invaluable in explaining the sudden changes babies go thru when you think WTF!!! Just when I had it sorted!! It helps to see that it's normal and that you'll get thru it. Hang in there. :hugs:

Hey MG I am using the bouncer for day sleeps ATM (it has a foot that extends out to make it more level and it doesnt rock whilst int his position). My mum put her in there on her side last Sunday and it worked a treat! She is sleeping in there for at least 3 hours at a time during the day! Sounds like Abbey's night time sleep pattern is the same as Sari too
    The other thing I am doing for bed time sleeps is putting a heat bead bag in Sari's bed so when I do put her down, her bed is nice and warm and she thinks it is a hot bod and stays asleep, works a treat honest! Still lots of patting, rocking and walking around to get her sleep sometimes though. Also if she has big sleeps in the arvo/early evening, she is awake from about 8.30-9 until 11pm and it takes a while to get her off to sleep.

Love Nets
    xx
    Last edited by Netty; March 22nd, 2007 at 09:05 AM.

MG have you tried a hammock, the rocking motion can be really good for/with younger bubs. I think you can sometimes hire them fro the hospital to see whther it will work for you?

It may be that Abbey is having her growth spurt, and thats what it is?

I know for the first 3 months I have a couple (not too many, could count on one hand) of days where Milo was awake and unsettled for 10-12 blocks and I just held him. I did find it really hard at the time, I remember calling the MCH hotline and saying this just can't be normal! but apparently it can be..

Thanks girls. I will check out Pinky's site. I know this is normal and by no means think it is an attempt at manipulation (nor indicated that). We have tried the rocker but she doesn't like it for some reason. And rocking in the pram hasn't worked either - went for an hour walk and she cried the whole way! I did think about the hammock but this is one big girl!!!! I'm hoping that once DH pulls his finger out and finishes her cot that will solve some issues - thinking she just hates the bassinet!
    Netty - do you do the heat bag on hot days too? I've been meaning to do it but a little worried about her being too hot (I know you don't leave it there).
    Blackbird, what is the wonder weeks? Is that the book title? I will have to get it.
    Rayray - PLEASE NO MORE GROWTH SPURTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL This little girl is not so little!!!! She is going to be a giant! LOL

MG - I think the wonder weeks is the book title. there is a thread or a sticky on it here

IKWYM about big 'little babies' too I think Abbey was bigger than Milo, he was only 10lb 4, but was in the hammock for a good 4-5 months. so if you could hire one to try (rather thatn buy one that won't last her as long as she's beiiger than average, and may not like it anyway) it may be worth a try?
    Last edited by Pandora; March 22nd, 2007 at 11:24 AM.

MG - yes, that's the book as RayRay said. I got it at Borders in Lygon St

Olivia Guest

Try a sling for day sleeps, it helped us heaps through the "I want to be held" stage.

MG I only use the heat bag at night now as I only sleep her in her bed at night (currently). I did use to use it even on hot days though as we do have aircon but she is a hot bod like Phil and I anyway and the heat goes pretty quickly once you take the heat bag away. I find Sari squirms into the warmth for a few seconds and then almost goes aaaaaah and drops back off, so cute ha ha If I dont use it, she wakes up withut fail.
    xx

MG, I think it's just the age. My little Bella decided about a week ago that day sleeps were a thing of the past. She only has little ten minute naps and if I put her down (to bed or in the rocker) she wakes up and gets very upset. I'm just lucky she's slept through the last two nights.

If I'm not doing anything involving boiling water or lots of movement I put her in the Baby Bjorn, otherwise I hold her or sit her in a boomerang pillow on the couch next to me.

Bella was only small when she was born, so I can imagine how your arms are feeling with your little giant!

Good luck with it all - if you find a solution, please tell me!!

Hi MG - sorry, no suggestions here, just wanted to say you're not alone in your frustration at having a baby who'd rather fight sleep. Natalie still cries and squirms when I'm holding her if she's tired and needs to sleep - then it just hits her and she goes off. Hoping your little one finds herself enjoying sleep time again. All the best.