Thread: 4am wake up why?

maggie Guest

Default 4am wake up why?

Hi

DS(almost 8mnths ) was sleeping thur the night, he was sleeping from appr 7pm til about 6am, it ws bliss.. however the last week he wakes at 4am, not sure why, he isnt hungry-i know that.. anyhow he doesnt wake up crying, he wakes up and happily talks to himself til like 5.30am and then will start to cry as he is then tooo tired to get back to sleep.. he is teething at the moment. could this be it? it is getting frustrating as well as tiring.. will he ever get back to sleeping til 6am.. thanks

It could be that he is teething or he could be cold too. I know it is starting to cool right down at about 3-4am now, so that might be it?

As Sherie said he could be cold. A health nurse told me that if the baby wakes at about 4am it usually means they are cold. Could be teeth though too. I hope he settles for you soon.

Id say teething too. Jesse did that with his second tooth then started sleeping through again and now the past 3 days has started doing it again too. No doubt another tooth will appear shortly.

I was told about the 4am and being too cold too. Lately I've dressed Nina in warmer pyjamis and she's no longer waking at 4'ish. We didn't think she'd need the warmer ones, but she must have. Maybe give that one a go and see if he sleeps through again?

Fee Guest

Cooper often wakes up at 4.00 am too. I can never figure it out. I've tried dressing him warmer but it didn't make a difference.

Usually he sleeps until 5.00 am and then wants a feed.

I'd guess probably teething too - we're going through the same thing.

I also thought he might be cold but the problem is when he goes to bed at 7pm it's still too warm here to dress him in winter jammies, it stays quite warm all night until about 4ish when the tempreture just bottoms out....I wish it'd hurry up and get really cold so we can rug them up!

Hi there,

Have you tried giving him a feed?

lachlan wakes sometimes at 5.30am and has a bit of a whinge, if i give him a bottle (not much) i will usually get another hour to hour and a half out of him.

Worth a try?

Good luck!!

Same with Caty. Not hungry but crying. We've rugged her up a bit more as I'd read about the 4am = cold thing too. Not working though! It's been happening for about 2 months but no toothie pegs. Arg!

scemett Guest

Evie used to sleep through the night - for months! Since 6 months she wakes up at about 4am every morning. I thought it was the cold, but her new thick winter jammies only worked for one night... then back to the waking up.

It's weird that it's so common!

Sometimes I think she's trying to make up for distracted feeding during the day.

I don't know!!

maggie Guest

Hi

Have tried feeding DS but not hungry, just happily plays in the cot for an hr, but then he gets cranky. occasionally may go back to sleep but not always.. once i get him up , he then has a small amnt of milk and then breakfast, but wants to be back in bed by 8am, but then will only have a catnap, making it a long time before nxt sleep.. I am hoping it will pass...