Thread: 6 month that wont sleep during the night

Default 6 month that wont sleep during the night

Hi, Charlotte is great at sleeping during the day, she will self settle and will sleep up till 2 hours at a time, twice a day, but overnight, the little monster comes out, this is what she did last night:

7:30 I put her to bed in a sleeping bag
    8:00 got her up as she was not settling and rocked her to sleep, put her down.
    8:30 was put to bed
    8:50 I went to bed
    9:30 Charlotte woke up, so i took her out of the sleeping bag and wrapped her, she was not that happy in the sleeping bag. got up and feed her,
    around 10pm- back to bed.
    woke up at 11:30 and was very ressless and didn't rally go back to sleep until about 1am in bed with us. I had a few tears then as I was so tired.
    1:20am woke up and i layed her on my chest and patted and she was back asleep, back into her bed.
    3:30am woke up for a feed. Back into her bed.
    $am- MAdison woke up, Tims gets up.
    6am- Charlotte wakes up for another feed, back into her bed.
    7am- wakes up and is put in with me.
    8:30- wakes for the day.

Tim is going to give Charlotte a EBM bottle tonight, so i can try and have some extra sleep, I hope this works.

Can anyone give me any adive on what i could try to get her to sleep some more.

Mads- she is having pear mixed with farex for dinner at nights, it is the only really think i can get her to eat, also i do try and get her to sleep at 7-7:30pm but she wakes up after 30-45mins and i can not get her to sleep after that, tonight will be a bit later as she is asleep now at 5:30pm.

Our DS (5 months) is doing a very similar thing at the moment. He used to go down really well at about 6pm and stay in bed until about 1 am for a feed and then he would wake at 5 am. That's all completely gone out the window now and I'm not sure why. We've started giving him some rice cereal to see if that helps but it hasn't. Everyone I talk to pretty much saya I need to start control crying him to sleep because he has bad sleep associations (ie. dummy, rocking, feeding, etc). I'm really nervous about doing this but thought I would give it a go as I'm massively sleep deprived as well and not really coping during the day. I wish we didn't have to do it but our DS doesn't seem to know how to resettle himself at nighttime so we have to give it a go I guess. Hope you find something that works and if you do can you let me know?

I am not sure if this will help, but with Cooper, we have a routine that we stick to every night, so that he knows that it is leading up to bed time. For example, he has a bath around 5.30, then he's breastfeed (and now solids), then bed by 7pm.

I noticed that he was also waking up shortly after I put him to sleep and someone told me to try not to let him have nap in the late afternoon (say after 4 or 5pm). So now, I try to keep him awake until 7pm. (If he is really tired, I will give him a 20 min nap or so). After a week or so where he knew what the routine was, when I put him into bed, he welcomes the sleep, and if he wakes in the early part of the night, I give him a pat and he will go back to sleep.

Could you try to maybe have a cut off time in the afternoon for day naps? Obviously, I am not meaning keeping her awake if she was really upset and overtired, but you would be surprised how they adjust doing it gradually. But I truly believe babies crave routine and like predictability.

Sorry, I don't know if this has helped!

well it is very normal for a young bub to wake frequently at night contrary to popular belief:P
    have you considered co-sleeping?
    here is some info on safe cosleeping

Making It Work: Guidelines for Safe Co-Sleeping

Recently, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warned parents that sleeping with their baby was too hazardous. Babies, they say, should always sleep in cribs. While we applaud the CPSC's efforts to protect children, we believe that their warnings unnecessarily frighten parents and do not provide adequate information about safe sleeping choices. There is no evidence that infants who sleep with aware, well-informed parents are at any greater risk than crib-sleeping infants. In fact, research has shown that babies who sleep with their parents are at a much lower risk for SIDS, have better physiological regulation, and receive more touching, breastfeeding, and protection. Millions of parents in the U.S. and around the world sleep with their children safely every night, as they have for thousands of years. Co-sleeping is safe and beneficial for infants -- and their parents. If you choose to co-sleep, the following guidelines should always be followed:

Guidelines for Sleeping With Your Baby

1. Always place baby to sleep on their back.
    2. Baby should sleep next to mother, rather than between mother and father.
    3. Take precautions to prevent baby from rolling out of bed. Use a mesh guardrail and be sure the guardrail is flush against the mattress and fill in any crevice with a rolled-up baby blanket or towel.
    4. Use a large bed with a mattress that fits snugly against the rail or is flush up against a wall. Don't use fluffy bedding or cover baby with comforters, etc.
    5. Do not sleep with your baby if you are under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or sleep-inducing over-the-counter medications or if you are overly exhausted from sleep deprivation
    6. Do not allow baby-sitters or older siblings to sleep with baby.
    7. Don't fall asleep with baby on a couch, bean bag chair or waterbed.
    8. Do not let baby sleep unattended on an adult bed.
    9. Don't overly bundle baby, because they get additional warmth from the mother's body. Overheating can be dangerous to infants.