Thread: 6 months- tummy sleeping

Default 6 months- tummy sleeping

Hi, My DD is 6 months old tomorrow. She has started rolling everywhere in the last few days. On sunday night we went in to check her and found her asleep on her tummy pressed against the side rails of the cot. Previously had always been on her back, arms above her head. We rolled her back, which woke her up!
    Monday night she did it again, ww left her for awhile, then couldnt help ourselves rolled her back, followed by about 1 hour of checking her (as she kept going onto her sides) before we finally went to bed.

We do have a movement monitor in her cot.

Yes, we are probably paranoid first time parents.

Advice on what to do- do we leave her on her tummy?
    Roll her back?
    I appreciate that I cant do it every night, and she will be doing this herself anyway from now on. Is she still too young?

when we put her in her cot during the day, she rolls over, hitting her head on the cot sides, ending up crying.

Help please!
    Worried Mum

id leave her, she can obviuosly roll onto her tummy and probably back again, i found DD slept much better on her tummy than back, id leave her be!!

I would leaver her too, I found my DD did this about 6 months and DS has just started doing it as well. I actualley found that since DS has started doing this he has been sleeping much better and even slept through the other night.

My suggestion is leave her. Now that she can roll, she should be able to cope with tummy sleeping. Some kids prefer it. My son will only sleep on his tummy and has done since he could roll.

i also see it that we sleep where were comfy she's doing the same!!

I'll agree with all the 'leave her's and also add that you can get a bumper called an Airwrap that is like padded mesh that can be breathed through if you are worried about her bumping her head. I got mine at Big W but I think they are most places now for $40 or $50. Also, if you have a movement monitor like mine with only the one pad, be prepared for it to go off now that she can roll against the edges of the cot - it will have you jumping up and running for a while

At 7 months I finally realsied that Darcy actually slept better on her tummy. As a first time mum that gave me heart failure, but now in hindsight I wish I'd left her there earlier.

DS stared sleeping on his belly a 4 months. He has ever since. He loves it!

She'll be fine. Just make sure all the obvious risks are taken away

Thanks everyone. I will try and leave her. My Dh is still adamant that he wants to turn her over though. He is a stickler for doing things by the book- SIDS guidelines etc. He wants to make sure she is fast asleep on her back before we go to bed, then if she rolls over in the night so be it. Problem is she rolls onto her side as soon as I put her down now!!

Claire has always slept on her tummy since she was able to roll at about 4-5 months. I figured she could roll both ways so there wasnt a problem. If I was to put her on her back, she'd just roll onto her tummy. I just made sure there was nothing in her cot that she could bury her face in.

I think our DS was sleeping on his belly from when he was 2 weeks old!!!! Settled much easier and quicker and slept for longer periods. We have a breathing monitor so we weren't overly worried, plus he always had excellent neck control from the moment he was born (ie could lift his head by himself and turn it either side from the get go.)

I can understand your partners worry though - we all want our children to be safe!!!

Charlotte has been sleeping on her tummy since we left the hospital...she love sit! lol
    It is only now that she is starting to sleep on her back, as I am putting her into her cot awake now, and she wont go down on the tummy

I would leave her....she can roll herself and move her head enough tat she will not suffocate. I still check on Charlotte, just to make sure hshe hasnt burrowed her head to much into the blankets and things, clear things away from her face sometimes, but dont wkae them!!! lol

Good luck, and try not to stress, she will move when she needs to

Firstly, OMG I can't believe Adeline is 6 months old already!

Oskar sleeps on his tummy all the time too, rolls over straight away and little bum in the air. He actually quite often moves until he has his head in the corner and sleeps all night like that. I can't even remember how old he was when he started sleeping on his tummy. Once they can roll around there's really not a lot you can do to prevent it. Think of how you or hubby sleep. Oskar sleeps in the same kinda position as me (except I don't have my bum in the air - lol). We move around in our sleep and as they get mobile so do they. We have the airwrap that Sacha is talking about and it is great.

As soon as Iz could roll she started sleeping on her tummy and no amount of flipping or turning her over could change that! I agree that if she is strong enough to roll over and lift her head she will be fine- she has found a comfy possie and is sticking to it!

Thanks everyone.
    Well I have just installed the airwrap to the cot -thanks for the tip Sacha!
    I went into her screaming yesterday during an afternoon nap- she had rolled over onto her tummy and had both legs through the rails up to her bum and couldnt move. Poor love. She is currently alternating front and back sleeping but I feel much better about it with so many positive responses.

Cass, yeah, she is getting to be a big girl, this year is going fast!

Maryx

I would leave her to

Especially if you have a angelcare

my DD has slept on her tummy every night since she was about 2 weeks old.. She only slept that way for some reason