Thread: 7 month old screaming for no reason! What can I do

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Default 7 month old screaming for no reason! What can I do

OK - my son is just 7 months old and has taken to screaming/squealing when right next to me.

Firstly he started getting upset when I would leave the room, and this I can understand, but now he can be sitting in the highchair not even half a meter away and will be squealing at the top of his lungs, not actually getting upset. And he is doing this non stop at an ear piercing level.

I really don't know what to do with this as I personally (and I know not all would agree with me) will not continually pick him up to satisfy his attention. I physically can not hold him all of the time with a very very active 2 yo that is also hard work! At the moment my 7 month old is making my 2 yo look close to an angel (not really but ykwim)

I am not used to this as my DS 1 was in care for 2 days a week from 3 months old, and never had any real seperation issues from me.

What should I do????? My patience can really not withstand this for much longer

Hi relle,

Is he actually crying or is he just using his voice for experimenting... I am a little confused. When he is in the highchair is that when you are feeding him he is screaming? Do you think He may be doing it for attention?

jen

Hi Jen,

Yeah he is definately doing it to get my attention. Even if I am 50 cm away but not looking at him he does it. It is not crying as such, and it is beyond just experimenting, it is like a cross between a squeal and a yell. Campbell never did this at all! Thing is I can't just stop everytime and give him attention, so I am wondering what other people do. Basically he is like this majority of the time he is awake!

He will do it as soon as he is fed or not even if he is due. The highchair is just one example iykwim.

I would probably control that by just saying to him " Mummy not listening and until you stop that mummy will not listen." Just ignore him and if it is really really Pi$$$ing you off then buy some earplugs.LOL!

It will be hard but at the end of the day they know if they are in trouble or your not happy with them by the tone in your voice. My little one is nearly 7mths old and she already knows what NO means thats for sure. If all else fails i would just put a play mat outside under shade and take some toys out there and let him sit outside and play for a bit, maybe that will work......

With the 50cm away and starts to cry i would gradually ease him into knowing that you are coming back to him. I would walk away for about a meter and talk to him to make him feel safe still then move a bit further away and so on. Until you can actually disapear for a bit and then return, make it into a game so he gets use to it.

Otherwise if it still happens maybe he is in pain and has a tummy bug thats hurting him?

I hope it goes well for you and you can resolve it you poor thing, it must be hard thats for sure. Thinking of you and let us know how you go! :hugs:

Jen
    x

If its seperation anxiety you could try playing peek-a-boo with him to help him understand that you dissappear and then you come back.
    You could try giving him rusks while he is in the high chair so that his mouth is busy with something other than squealing.

Its around this age (6-7 months) that they realise they are seperate entities isnt it? That they are not a part of there mummy, they are there own person?
    My DD is nearly 8 months and will tend to cry or whinge when i put her down to play. If i walk past the room she is happily playing in, she will let out a cry or a whinge.....i know its only coz she's seen me, and wants to be picked up.
    I totally, totally understand that you cannot pick DS up every time he cries. I dont know about you, but 'NO' just doesnt seem to sink in at this age, not with my DD. Have you thought of introducing a teddy, or a wrap or something as his security object - something he can give cuddles too and form some kind of bond with - help him understand he can have relationships/fun with something other than mummy??

Thanks girls!

Mbear - yes he does have a teddy and a dummy at bed time, and he is fine with that! I am beginning to wonder if it is just seperation or possibly frustration cause he can see his big brother and I walking around etc.

I have changed his routine the last couple of days, and he doesn't seem to be doing it as much - particularly in the high chair. Instead of putting him down when he is showing tired signs, I have held him out till a couple of hours later - and then he is sleeping longer. I had a very rigid routine with DS 1 and it worked really well for us, but thought I would just go with the flow for No 2, but that has not been working, so back to the routine that worked in the past and so far so good! Not too much screaming tonight!

On the positive it is actually making me start to appreciate DS 1 as his behaviour is starting to improve so I am trying to be really concious of praising him as much as possible even when DS 2 is playing up!
    Last edited by DoulaRelle; October 18th, 2006 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Spelling!

I know its a long shot but how is he teeth wise? Seth did this for a few days when his teeth were giving him the irrits. But Seth (also 7 mths) is going through a touch of seperation anxiety. He also gets frustrated if we walk away from him, but he also hates too much cuddling and closeness so its a lose lose situation LOL! He's a funny fellow. He tends to just follow me around and he's happy but if I go too fast I know about it LOL!

Not much I can really suggest I hope things calm soon...

*hugs*
    Cailin

Cailin, He has had one tooth come through and I can not see any others that are "just there", but when he has been like this failing all else I do put Bonjella on his gums and try and make sure he has a rusk or a toy to chew on. Sometimes the bonjella calms him, and other time not!

Yeah could be it then (maybe as I said I'm clutching at straws) but I did notice Seth suffered way more than Paris ever did with his teeth, poor lil guy.

Hopefully whatever the cause he settles down soon!

*hugs*
    Cailin