Thread: 7 month old and water

Default 7 month old and water

I was just wondering when I should be introducing water into Olivia's regular diet? I have a sipper cup when she plays with and she has the occassional sip of water from my glass but do I need to be giving her more water more often? She is having 5 b/f, 3 meals and 1 arvo snack of fruit or rice crackers.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Dan,
    I gave Liv water regularly once I started her on Solids. Now I just leave it on the floor with her when she plays so she can take a drink at any time. I also give it to her just before bed now that she has her first tooth
    HTH...by the way....nice name
    Melissa

I have been giving my dd water since solids started too. I used to only give her a little when she had her solids while she was bf, but now that she is fully ff I give her at least 100-150ml a day. She has it with her all day too while she plays. She gets it everywhere and is usually soaked after having some, but she drinks it and it's hotter now anyway...she loves to wipe it around on her high chair tray. She has a ball, LOL!

I offer my 7 month DD water with her meals (just started 3 meals per day) and then offer her some throughout the day in her sippy cup. She probably has about 100ml water per day although I try to get her to drink more if it is very hot. How does Livvy go with rice crackers??? I'm so scared to try on DD in case she chokes, she has no teeth yet! oops sorry I'm hijacking (smacking my own wrist)....

I have offered DS water with his lunch and dinner since we started solids. Just this week he has decided he really likes it and will drink a fair bit. He has about 50mls in each session. I'm yet to give it to him throughout the day, but as he is still BF I haven't worried about that too much, I just pop him on the boob more when it's hot

Dan, you shouldn't need to give a bf baby water at all, but usually people start to introduce water sometime between 6 and 12 months to start getting the baby used to it. Both of my boys started drinking water regularly at about 7 months, although in my case this was probably more to do with them starting day care than anything. It doesn't really matter which way you go, the water isn't neceassary but it won't hurt either.

Like MantaRay said, a b/f bub shouldn't need water until they're starting to wean. Having said that, it doesn't hurt them to have it (as long as it's not impacting on your b/feeding).

My two started off by playing with it more than drinking it. It wasn't till they were about 14 months that they became interested in drinking it regularly.

Thanks for all the advice ladies. I don't know where I would be without BB.

Lis, Olivia loves her rice crackers. I have the Baby Mum-Mum ones which disolve when mixed with saliva. They are great and Livvy love them. She started off taking only half of one but now she does both crackers and squeals if I don't give it all to her. LOL!! The packet does say for 12 months+ but that is only about the supervision level not the nutritional content/ingredients. I enquired about this. They come a pack of two which you can throw in your nappy bag so I always have some for Livvy to munch on if i'm out and about. You can order them online or I can get them in health food shops. You can get plain or vegetable.

Thanks Dan, I'll check my health food shop!

Ooooh ... I saw the baby mum mum ones and didn't get them because of the 12 + months..... excellent, I shall get some cos they look great. Oh and I saw them in Coles

am hijacking cause I recently discovered the baby mum mums also, and get them from woolies!! On special for $2.99 a box also atm!! Love em!