Thread: 8 month old waking 1 to 2 time during the night for bottle

Default 8 month old waking 1 to 2 time during the night for bottle

Hi all my son Callum has started waking during the night 1 to 2 times for a bottle. He use to sleep through and the only thing I can put in down to is we started giving him his night bottle at 7pm when he went to bed. Its driving us nuts as we have stopped with putting him to bed with his bottle and also tried giving him water but he just cries and wont settle until he has milk. I dont know what else to do.Can Anyone out there help please as we have to kick this in the butt!!!!

Missy

It might be that he is going through a growth spurt?
    I know we had periods in the past of a few weeks at a time where Aidyn would suddenly wake up hungry during the night, so we would give him a bottle.
    Have you considered perhaps giving him a bottle/dreamfeeding just before you go to bed at night? We used to give Aidyn one at about 10 or 11pm, and it would usually see him through till morning.

Hi Ambah

Oh I didnt think it could be a growth spurt...hmmmm Could be.

He has his last bottle at 7 and then he is sound asleep. Do you think its worth waking him at about 10???? What if he doesnt want to go back to sleep (playtime) geeeee that wouldnt go down well ....lol....Maybe I will have to try.

Thanks

Missy

I dont know... we never really woke him for a bottle, we just sort of gave it to him in his cot, and he would drink it whilst still being nearly asleep. I think theres a certain age though when that stops working, so maybe Callum is too old for that?
    I wish I had some other suggestions, but all I know is that I always put it down to a growth spurt, as he would eat more during the day too, and it would usually only last for a few weeks. I hope you can figure something out though, goodluck!

So do I but thanks for the Info

Missy

Could it be teeth?. Kaitlyn never gets fed to sleep however when teether or sick she tends to want those extra feeds in the night...for comfort I guess.

Cass yes that could be it too. He hasnt got any yet...But guess what...he slept through last night...woooohooo....lol....lets hope it continues

Missy

It didnt last long!!!!!!!!!!!!! he was up again for a bottle at 2am last night...gggrrrr.....Its been going on for about 3 weeks now...when will it stop...lol...

Missy

There's not much I can offer other than Matilda did that until she was 13 months and then once nightly until last week

Sometimes we offered her a bottle and sometimes we didn't. We found that giving her a bottle meant that she went back to sleep easier... which helped us. But then she would wake for it more so when we were rested up, we would start trying to just change her nappy & give her a sip of water to help get through the rest of the night.

One thing though with Matilda's wake ups, she tends to go through really bad phases a few weeks before major developmental changes, like crawling, walking, talking, etc etc Is he trying to do something?

they actually don't need a bottle at that age, it's up to you whether you choose to give one or not. Problem with it is it will become habit, and could be already, and he will just associate waking with bottle. I would be resettling by just patting him and putting my hand over his eyes and teaching him to go back to sleep. Coco has had last milk feed at 6.30pm for at least 5 months . If he's eating meals then I doubt it would be hunger.
    Iknow my nephew was in that habit and having midnight bottles at 3 years until my sister decided ENOUGH! It took two nights to train him out of it. Was definitely habit.
    good luck xo

Christy

Yes he is just started crawling and is trying to pull himself up on everything...Oh and he doesnt have any teeth yet so that could also be it.

Meg, I agree with you 100% but I think the habbit has sunk in so much. We have tried offering him water....Nope that wont do it we then screems cause its not milk. Ive tried patting him but once I stop he screems some more and ive evern tried putting him in bed with me and patting him but he still carries on. I also dont want to get into that habbit as well. He eats 3 meals a day and snack in between so I know he isnt hungry. His last bottle before he goes to sleep is between 6 -7 so I dont know what to do.

I would let him screem but he is so loud and Im scare what PPl will say if they hear him...

Missy

LOL Missy & it does depend on them, Matilda has screamed for hours in the middle of the night before, that is more than 2! I will NEVER do that again. I would much rather her have another bottle than scream for 2 hours.

One thing I did try & worked for a little while was dilute her bottles in the middle of the night, so she wouldn't want them as much. So the first night I would give 50ml milk and 50ml water... and get weaker & weaker...to the point where she would suck for a few minutes and then not finish it because it wasn't what she wanted.

Oh cool that might work as he hate the water in the night but if i do that he will think its milk and so on.

Thanks