Thread: 8 Months Old, 3am & 4am wakes, teeth?

Default 8 Months Old, 3am & 4am wakes, teeth?

My little girl is about 81/2 months old. She is still a gummy baby. But lately over the last 3-4 nights she has began waking at 3, 4, 5am. She normally is an earlier riser between 5-6, but she hasn't woken at 3 & 4 for a while now. I was just wondering if it could be here teeth starting to move again, they caused her some grief when she was about 5 months old, but nothing since then.
    I know that you shouldn't leave a sick baby crying at night, but I don't necessaryily know it is her teeth or wheather she just wants our attention. As when I do go to settle her, she quitens downs while I am in her room but then as soon as I leave she will start crying again. My instint says its her teeth as she is normally a good baby, but I just don't want her to get into any bad habits if it's not.
    One more thing when she 5 months old and her teeth were moving she was pulling at her ears, and she has been doing this lately too, I took her to the doc to make sure it wasn't her ears and she said they were fine, she has had constipation bad over the last few weeks but have got it under control after seeing the doc during the week.
    Hoping someones opinion my help.

Mel, it does sound like teething to me. Also, they do get unsettled around the time of various developmental stages such as crawling or walking. Has she recently started (about to start) something like that?

Thanks Melanie, I haven't heard of babies being unsettled when they started something new like crawling or walking. It's funny as she is trying to do both at the moment. She gets the rocking going when she is on all fours, and she is also pulling herself up onto things, standing while holding on, then slowly taking one hand away, then crash. Did you experience this with your little ones? Plus how long did it take your babies teeth to come through when they started to cause them trouble, I surpose it's like asking how long is a piece of string, they are probably all different.

mel, it sounds like what coco is going through now, exactly like it, and she's had 2 teeth pop up over the last 10 days (during that time she has woken through the night and can be sooo upset, but will settle when someone is with her). Its' her 7th and 8th teeth and we've had similar probs the whole time. I would say it sounds like teeth. Good luck, hopefully things will settle down quickly for you xox

Thanks Meg, I think it is. She just wants to be cuddled at night when she wakes. I just hope they come up soon, last time she went through all this, her teeth come as far down as little red lumps appearing under her gums, then they disappeared again, hopefully this time they will just break the gum and stay down, quickly I have seeing her upset.
    BTW your little girl is a real cutie.
    Thanks for your help.

Hi there,

We've had very disturbed nights recently and mine has just started cutting teeth too (he's ten months today). Let's hope they get some nice choppers soon so we can all get some sleep.

Milo was really unsettled at night when he was starting to crawl (around the 8-9 month mark) Its supposedly because they like to "practise".

I remember I read it in Pinkys book --

"As your baby develops new skills such as crawling and pulling herself up on her feet she will probbaly "practise" these newfound skills in her sleep. This processing of new information is apparently fabulous for infant brain development, even if it means parents will be woken by babies bumping into the sides of cots several times a night"
    This was really true for us. He also tends to sleep more poorly when he is teething, but thats usually not settleing to sleep rather than night waking.

Hi Mummy mel
    Little Jacob is not at that stage yet but sooo sounds like little toothypegs!!
    My nephew was like that.... and I have heard that they get constipated because they are swallowing heaps of saliva.. its kind of like chewing gum for us... if we eat it heaps and swallow the saliva we can get constipated too.

Good luck with it mate... cant wait to meet her
    xo

Ray Ray this is very interesting,
    "As your baby develops new skills such as crawling and pulling herself up on her feet she will probbaly "practise" these newfound skills in her sleep. This processing of new information is apparently fabulous for infant brain development, even if it means parents will be woken by babies bumping into the sides of cots several times a night"
    As I'm finding her against the edges of her cot most times, I wonder if it is a mixture of the teething and the trying to crawl and how she is pulling herself up onto things is keeping her awake.
    Last night wasn't much different. Woke at 3am, settled straight away with her dummy, then again at 4am, and didn't really go back to sleep, so we have been awake ever since
    Kitty, thanks for the advise, I beginning to think it's a combination of her teeth, the constipation (which seems to be gone), and the beginning to crawl and pull herself to her feet that is the problem. Can't wait til Monday should be a great arvo.
    Melbo, I'm with you bring on the teeth, I hate seeing her so miserable at nights. I hope your little ones break soon . Let me know when they come through.