Thread: 8 week old - sleeping patterns

Default 8 week old - sleeping patterns

Does anyone know if its normal for an 8 week old to sleep quite a lot??

up until now Aneta has been awake most of the day - and only slept an hour or two here and there.
    The last few days she sleeps through the night, and then stays awake for about an hour and a half in the morning - has her second feed of the day, and then just sleeps and sleeps, wakes for feeds and sleeps again.

Is that normal? or should i be worried that she's suddenly sleeping so much ??

Sounds pretty normal to me. I have a friend who's daughter is a week older than Aneta and also sleeps from 9.30pm to 5am and nods on and off and has a few sleeps throughout the day.

Love

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

She could be going through a growth spurt. I alsways found my boys would sleep and feed wgen they were going through a growth spurt and they needed to put all of their energy into growing. If ound 6 weeks and 12 weeks to be the biggest period of change in their patterns of feeding and sleeping.

My 5 month old still struggles to stay awake longer than and hour and a half at a time, although he stays awake for most of the morning now!

Thanks Kathryn & Relle
    I was starting to get a bit worried because her sleep patterns changed so suddenly... but when she's awake she smiles and she's alert - so maybe its a growth spurt or something... its just a pitty we have her awake for such a short time

Sounds blissfull!!
    I think after jenna went through a growth spurt she would sleep better for a few days, and then revert back to her normal terrible ways....
    She has always been a challenging sleeper, so I can't comment on whats normal, but what you have a the moment sounds lovely

Fi - hehe i shouldnt be complaining should I ??

Lucy is 12 weeks old. It was about when she hit the 8/9 week mark that she started more of a routine, and actually having sleeps rather than napping through the day, so I noticed them more.

She does the same thing now - wakes up at about 8am, has a feed, maybe a bath, a little play, and an hour and a half later she makes her tired cry, and goes down in her bed for a good hours sleep. This is perfect actually coz then I can jump in the shower and get ready for the day!