Thread: activities for 14mth old (independence)

Default activities for 14mth old (independence)

My DD is almost 14 months and not yet walking... I find that she will only play with her toys if I am there with her and if I walk away from her (once she is playing) she will always come to find me/cry within a minute or two, even if I am still in the same room..

We are expecting baby number 2 in 2 months and I want to get her used to playing independently.. Is this realistic ?

What sort of things do/did your 14 mth olds do during the day ? - I don't want to rely too much on tv (she loves playschool but has to watch it sitting on my lap!!)

Thanks for any suggestions..

Chelsea can walk so i guess that helps her play a little. Normally she will ride her ride on cars, plays on her activity table, dolls, music intruments, i made some containers with pasta/rice and she shakes them, TV, looks thru her books. She is easily amused and plays solo alot of the time. We read together but generally we dont get off the front cover cos she isnt a child that will sit still to look at books with people...she likes to eat them instead (the books that is)!

I also think what helps is that she goes to FDC 2 days a week so she is exposed to other kids and most are older so she learns things from them.

My DD is an outdoor girl, so we do a lot outside. Whether it's drawing, painting, gardening, playing with the dog, playing on her swing set, going for a swim/walk etc. Whatever you're doing with her, once she's happy doing it, gradually give yourself more distance between you and her. Until it gets to the point that she is happy doing it herself, while you sit back and watch. Eventually she will be happy to play on her own. It'll just take time.
    Like Kimbaz said, FDC or childcare is great. My DD goes 3 times a week and loves it.

I can symapthise Iberru. Darcy was very very much like that - either I had to entertain her or she was the velcro child.
    I ended up with toys or things she could play with in everyroom of the house so I could at least do things while she was sitting next to me. I found that sneaking away while she was occupied made her distress worse, and I'd rather have her trust me than think I'm going to sneak off everytime her back is turned. That age is ripe for separation anxiety too. When she could understand me I started giving her little jobs to do - hand mummy the pegs, she had her own duster etc. Eventually while she was doing that she started to find things of her own to amuse herself.
    I always tell Darcy if I'm going somewhere, like "Mummy's just going to get a drink, I'll be back in a minute OK?" It might seem silly at that age, but it becomes routine and she know's I'll keep my word. She also answers now and says OK. If she does say Nooooo I know she is upset about something and I delay until she's ok - that happens so rarely.
    It does get easier

At that age my son had his own cupboard in the kitchen which I just filled with plastic containers, old bits of kitchen equipment etc. He loved opening it and dragging everything out. Messy, but it kept him entertained for 20 to 30 minute stretches which is probably all you can expect at 14 months.

Another thing for desperate moments - fill up an old handbag with bits and pieces and pull it out occasionally (not too often or it loses its appeal).

DoubleK Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mgm View Post
    At that age my son had his own cupboard in the kitchen which I just filled with plastic containers, old bits of kitchen equipment etc. He loved opening it and dragging everything out. Messy, but it kept him entertained for 20 to 30 minute stretches which is probably all you can expect at 14 months.

Another thing for desperate moments - fill up an old handbag with bits and pieces and pull it out occasionally (not too often or it loses its appeal).
    we had one of those! when we moved to this place (2 months ago) she hasnt bothered with 'her' cupboard at all! tho

Krystal also loved drawing with crayons!!