Thread: Activities for 3-4 month old

Default Activities for 3-4 month old

As the title suggests I am looking for things to do with my almost 4 month old. He is awake more and more and im running out of ideas on what we should do when we are at home together. I obviously want to do games that are not only fun but also somewhat educational, but that doesn't mean they all have to be!!!

So far we play on the play mat, sing songs, do a bit of tummy time, sing nursery rhymes and read books but from there on I am lost. Yesterday I got the saucepan and wooden spoon out but thats not a game I want to encourage .

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds great what you are doing already! I also used to carry DD around the house or take her outside (when not too bright) and have a talk about the things we see- a bit of a running commentary from me really. I also think that babies just like to watch mum or dad do their chores around the house. You don't need to be doing things all the time with baby as you are doing lots already but watching you is a great pleasure and even letting him know what you are doing would be lovely.

Agree - you sound very organised!!! We do lots of walks in the pram and general chatting about what is going on around us - visits to the park and beach with different sounds etc. But really just lots of chatting and hanging out - they really just want to enjoy your company and experience the world!

Good Luck

Thanks for the reassurance guys I appreciate it.

DS doesn't really like it if I get on with the chores while he is awake LOL. He likes me to pay attention to him. The best I can do is maybe get the dishes done while he lays on his mat. I like it though coz I figure there will come a time when he no longer wants to have anything to do with me Plus who doesn't want an excuse to get out of house work.

We often get out of the house, I feel better on the days that we get out, its a real sanity saver. I guess im just looking for more things to do around the house to help him experience things. Im happy to hear that Im doing the right things but any more suggestions would be appreciated!!

Junk mail is great, all the pictures to look at, you can flick through and name things.
    If you have a bouncer, you can tape it onto the hoop and DS can look at it.

I use to take MJ in to what ever room i was in and talk to her about what i was doing, so there was a running comentary.
    She came outside when i hung the washing, helped fold the washing, i would put a big pile next to her and let her play with it all (bit more of a hassle now thou!!!), especially the different textures.

Um, when she could sit up we would do a lot in the high chair, so she was at a higher level.
    Lots of walking too, mostly in the pram, but sometimes i would just walk up the street and we would look at all the flowers or plants, that would be a good, 30-50 mins, looking at everyones gardens.

Some additional ideas -

Your local library may have a baby song/story time.
    Have you had an opportunity to find a mother's group? - Your MCHN may be able to help.
    Also lots of peek a boo type games - hiding you/toys and gently revealing them (may be a bit too much of a shock if too enthusiastic!).
    May be worth checking out where the local play centres are for down the track also.
    Blow bubbles.
    Gather things of different textures - leaves/material/newspaper/magazines to scrunch and play with (closely supervised of course).
    Head out for coffee/lunch and chats with bubs too.

GL

...where jumping on the bed is mandatory!

sounds like you have already got it sorted with the things you already do and the suggestions on here...i was given a book called 'the parents guide to play' its a gymboree book, i found it usefull for those times when you run out of ideas, id just flick through and do one of the games...things like helping teach you baby foot-eye coordination by putting a toy or something by his feet to practice kicking...it tells you what skills its teaching him etc. it goes from birth to 2 1/2 years.

I find DD likes to be upright when watching me do my chores. I have one of those bouncinette thingys, but you could prop DS up on a pillow on the floor, so he can see you better. Then you can cook, or do the ironing, or make lunch and chat away to him.

My throat is always sore by the end of the day because I just constantly chatter away to DD.

It sounds like you're doing a great job already!