Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adjusting babies feeds/sleep - overseas

If you do decide to take Phenergan, make sure you trial it first, especially on a young baby. It is meant for over 2's only, but we were prescribed it for when Charlie had severe itching from his very bad case of chicken pox. (He was 16 months). I gave it to him and it had the opposite effect: made him go totally HYPER, instead of the sedative effect it is supposed to have..........so if you do decide that Phenergan is the go, test it out BEFORE the flight, JIC!

wow ! thanks for all that helpfull info -
    What is phenergran?? Is it a sedative???

It is an anti-histamine, and it has a sedative effect on some children (or the opposite effect, which is scary!). I think you need it prescribed from the Dr......

The 70/80's were the phenergan years. My mother admits to giving it us occasionally when we were being babysat. I have heard it leaves a nasty "hangover" in the children though.
    I was prescribed it a couple of years ago when I had chicken pox, and I still carry 2 when I do longhaul flights. Its a last ditch effort to catch some sleep.

I have a friend with a autistic son, and they have to dose up their child on occasion when he is completely hyper.

Its not used as much anymore....... Probably not a good look to ask for it.... Times have changed a little.

And if my mum coped with 4 under 7 flying back from USA by herself in the early 80's with me throwing up and delirious, and there still being a Honalulu stopover without any medication, I think you and your husband can do the flight you need to without relying on the phenergan for such a little tot. Just my 10c.

I agree with Fi to be honest.......we were only prescribed it for chicken pox......I would be VERY hesitant in using it on a flight....

i wouldnt use any sedatives on her just to make MY trip easier I was just wondering what it was..
    Our sedative will be milk hehe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12