Thread: Afternoon nap for a toddler?

Default Afternoon nap for a toddler?

My 18 month old is having his first ever day without a nap (much to my disappointment - I'm buggered). I'm wondering if this could be a sign of things to come. He's a great night sleeper and slept from 8.30pm-10am this morning (usually wakes around 8.30AM). Is this amount of sleep enough for his age? I plan to put him down at 7pm tonight to make up for it.

Just wondering how many hours awake other toddlers are at this stage.

My oldest gave up day time naps just before he turned 2, where as my 2nd born will still sleep for 2 hours in the afternoon and he will be 2 next month. It just depends on the child

Love

My eldest actually had a day sleep until she was 5, we had to cut it out only once she started school! I think she stopped two sleeps when she was about 2, and then continued one until 5.
    xo

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Justine

Our DS had a short morning nap (1-2hrs) and afternoon nap (1hr) - then slept 8.30pm to 7am.

Once children go to preschool / daycare they keep afternoon rest times till the last 3 months before school.

I think 12 hrs per day is normal but for active kids they might sleep more.

He would definately fall asleep in car afternoons if we weren't home for 'rest'.

OMG Megg our girls are so alike!!!
    Maddy was also having sleeps during the day (of her own accord) right up until starting school, I was SO worried she'd not cope a whole day at school, but she did, she was tired but she managed!!

Im too interested in this question. My DD is 2.5. She has suddenly stopped her day time sleeps. She's up between 730-830am and we have her in bed by 730pm now due to no day time sleep. This all started b4 the arrival of #2 by the way.

I really think she still needs a little nap - even just for an hour. Should i persevere???

my 2 1/2 yr old still has 2 hrs every arvo. sleeps 8-7 overnight

Aidyn is almost 2 and still has a nap between 11.30 and 1pm every day. Hopefully he wont drop it for a long time to come, cause he certainly needs it!

He goes to bed by 7.30pm each night, and usually wakes up at around 7am.

I am not sure what I will do with Olivia if she decides she wants to cut out her day nap. At the moment she happily goes down for a good few hours after lunch and I am hoping it lasts and lasts and lasts........

My Mum and I were talking about this the other day and she was telling me that she encouraged me to have "quiet time" in my room (in bed with books) until I went to school....so I would always have a little quiet time even if I didn't actually sleep. Mum happily admitted that she encouraged this so that SHE got her sanity break (at least an hour where she could have her lunch in peace before the afternoon onslaught).

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like they're all very different. I like the idea of quiet time Lucy.

Isaac is back to 1-2 hour naps so I'm hoping it was just a freak occurance. I'm still so grateful for my sleep-ins in the mornings that I have no right to complain about him. Mmmm - wonder what # 2 will be like?