Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age you noticed handedness?

Default Age you noticed handedness?

I was wondering what age you noticed whether your child was right or left handed?

I thought early on that DS was right handed but some things - like using a spoon - he is much better at with his left hand. So I was wondering at what age they really start to favour one?

Nina (at 22 months) is still using both hands. For a while there we thought she may be left handed, but she's gone back to using both.

I have also noticed that DD is most likely going to be left handed. SHe uses her left hand for most things- eating, turning book pages, drawing. THough still uses her R hand too. I don't think handedness is set in stone until they are older, about 3 or so. But then I have also read that it's determined in the womb, so who knows!!

My DD is 2 1/2 and still using both hands aswell.

A few times I have been sure that she is a lefty but she usually goes back to using both again.

DD is definitely showing a preference for being right handed and she is not yet 2 1/2. She will "write" with her crayon and colour in using her right hand consistently. She was using both hands until she was about 2 and since then has been gradually using her right hand more and more.

Enchanted Guest

Oscar uses both hands but he seems to use his right more than his left. With saying that he is confident with his left though. So he has me confused I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I was wondering about this too. I've already put down bet's with my family that Flynn is going to be a lefty. He is always shoving his left hand into his mouth. He shoves both in don't get me wrong but the left seems to be the favored one....guess we'll wait and see (I'm sure I'll be proved wrong! )

paradise lost Guest

DD is still using both hands, but i always pass into her right hand, to encourage right-handedness (if she's left-handed i can't change it but if she's between the two i can), and she's gradually using it more and more over the left. She holds the fork in her left hand, but she manipulates the food onto it with her right. I think by the time they're 3 or so they're pretty much set in whichever hand is dominant.

Bx

DD is still using both hands, but i always pass into her right hand, to encourage right-handedness (if she's left-handed i can't change it but if she's between the two i can),
    Really? Why?

I tried to encourage Matilda to be left-handed.... I am and I love being left-handed. Its something that makes me "different". Alas... Matilda has always been strongly right-handed. *meh* it isn't something I've thought too much about.

Jovie is 20 months & not showing either side.

I noticed around the age of 2 that DS1 and 2 were using thier right hands more often, and DS1 at almost 9 is right handed. Ds3 uses his left hand for most things so we are pretty sure he will be left handed..

Usually they don't develop definite handedness until 3 or 4. By the time they start school they are usually either left or right handed. My DDs were at preschool before they were obviously right handed but DS seems to be left handed very strongly already as he does everything with his left hand.

Hi

DS1 is nearly four and is definitely left handed and has shown a strong tendancy towards this hand for about the last 18 months. DS2 has just turned two and he is also favouring his left hand more, although occassionally still uses his right but looks uncoordinated. So two leftys here. I am really interested to see if DD is also left handed. My DH and I are both right handed but my biological mother is left handed so I guess thats where it comes from.

I'd heard that they don't usually show preference until about 3yo, but DS has been a lefty for sooooo long LOL. Well before he was 2 he showed preference.

Me too Cai!
    Many generations of women in my family are left handed. Darcy (yay) has shown an obvious tendency towards her left hand for a long time and she's just 2.

I can already see in Jesse at 3 1/2 months that he'll be right handed. He has alot more control with his right hand.
    Jaz is ambidextrous. Can use both. Mostly uses her right, but can use her left. She's using the left hand less & less though. I'm completely useless with my left hand.

oh dear Hamish is 4 turning 5 this year and he still doesnt seem to have a favourite hand.
    He constantly swaps, picks up with one hand then will change it half way through what he is doing.

Perhaps he isnt going to have favourite but thats ok with me. I tend to use both hands although i am stronger with the right. Hamish hasnt lent towards either.

paradise lost Guest

Quote:
    DD is still using both hands, but i always pass into her right hand, to encourage right-handedness (if she's left-handed i can't change it but if she's between the two i can),

Really? Why?
    Because it's easier and safer to be in the 90% of people the machines, roads, equipment and ways of doing things the world is set up for, primarily and also a little because the way a left-handed brain processes information makes learning a less flexible affair. It's incredibly handy to be left handed if you're in a car crash because things like motor and language skills are more spread out, over both hemispheres (rather than in one hemisphere) so you're unlikely to have more devastating effects from head injury, but equally you're more likely to be in a crash if you're left handed because the cars and roads and other drivers expect you to be right-handed.

I have nothing against left-handed people, but i think for her sake she'd be better off right handed IF she can choose. If she can't of course that's perfectly fine too.

Bx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast