Thread: Alternatives to panadol

Default Alternatives to panadol

Anyone have any suggestions for a better tasting pain/fever relief med? K has had roseola and he vomits at the taste of panadol and the other day we tried another brand (chemists own, strawberry flavoured) and he started gagging as soon as he tried to suck it out of the dropper. Is there anything that doesn't have that really strong underlying medicinal taste to it? I'm pretty sure it's that and not the flavour so much that he doesn't like.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Angel; August 7th, 2007 at 01:50 PM.

You can get the equivalent to panadol called Dymadon (is exactly the same) but it also comes in orange flavour. A friend's daughter was the same with panadol and found Dymadon great, she loved it.

kerry Guest

Brauers do both a "fever & pain relief" and a "baby Calm"... most chemists and naturopathic shops sell the range.

I'm a big convert... plus its homeopathic. I have found the fever relief just as good as panadol for dropping my DD's temp.

You can mix the panadol into about 50ml of EBM or formula and maybe he will take it that way.

If it is the taste (and you REALLY need to give something for pain) there is the option of rectal panadol. Not pleasant but no taste Having tried panadol (and equivalents) and nurofen, I personally don't like the taste of any of them. Kynan has good taste when it comes to medication!!!! Painstop tastes better but it is a stronger medication with codeine so only good for strong pain and not suitable for fever.

We've had much better success with Dymadon... tastes like orange, and not as much yukky aftertaste as the panadol.

Hello DD loves the Dymadon flavour. Never had any probs getting that down. However, there are a number of different flavours in the Panadol range, including a colour free variety.

Try the Brauers range.

lotusmamma Guest

For fever I use vinegar or essential oils. They both work faster than paracetamol or other OTC medications - 1-2 minutes as opposed to up to 10 minutes. To use the oils you just add 2-4 drops to a bowl of water, dip in a cloth, wring it out and swipe down the body. Or for the vinegar you mix it 1 part vinegar to 7 parts water and swipe down the body. It not only works faster and is cheaper but the essential oils help support the childs body in healing. I don't think the vinegar has any affect on healing but it works well on fevers. I haven't used Panadol since I discovered these remedies 12 years ago and they have never failed to work every time any of my kids are sick.

lotusmamma Guest

p.s. I meant to add that these remedies are also great for babies and young children if they have trouble swallowing medicine or don't like the taste. If they won't let you wipe down their whole body then just the feet will do.

Lindys Guest

I will agree that Dymadon is worth a shot. My boys don't seem to mind it at all. In fact, one of them likes it a bit too much! lol

:-) Lindy

I was going to suggest dymadon too as the flavour is alot nicer, the painstop is deffinately alot stroger and has a real alchohol taste to it my kids hate it and wont take it and really I dont blame them I tried it and it took my breath away and burnt my mouth. other wise I really sont know what else I know the colour free panadol is not the nicest but the normal one with the red colour is quite nice have you tried that???

Ouch Amy!!! I found the painstop I tried to have a butterscotch taste but maybe I like "cowboys" too much There is a day and a night formula so maybe that was the difference

Yeah the one we have is the day and night and it deffinately doesnt taste like butterscotch its pretty awful, I didnt realise there were others around hmmmm maybe I will ask next time I need to purchase something a little stronger for the kiddies.

Angel -
    Have you tried the baby Nurophen with him? I find my DS doesn't mind the taste of that one and it works well for pain and fever for him.

lotusmamma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mads View Post
    Lotusmamma - which essential oils do you recommend in those situations? I'd hate to try the wrong one in case there was a bad reaction.
    It is good to be cautious as the oils can be very strong and you can overdose on them. A good rule of thumb with children is to use half the recommended adult dose and with babies a quarter.

The essential oils that are good for reducing fever are Lavender, Peppermint and Eucalyptus. They all work equally well but if it is evening I use Lavender because it is calming and the other two are stimulating. Youreally do only need 2-4 drops in a small bowl of water. Don't be tempted to use more - you'll only be wasting it and if it's too strong you can irritate the skin. If you want to use the oils in a shallow bath you still only need 2-4 drops but it is best to add a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil or a couple of cups of milk (full cream so you have the fat content) as these will ensure that the oils are disbursed so they don't irritate the skin.

The first few times I tried these remedies I had the Panadol on hand as back up. I told myself I would give the oils a few minutes to work and I could always use the Panadol if they didn't but the oils have always worked so now I don't even have Panadol in the house anymore. My kids have felt how much better the oils make them feel so now they ask for their "magic cloth" when they are feeling ill. BTW I am a qualified Aromatherapist although it's been six years since I've worked professionally - these days I just treat mostly my own family.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I'll have to see how he goes with the Brauers fever & pain one. Should've thought of that seeing as how he loves the taste of the teething relief!

or you could use the syringe to get it down, it shoots straight to the back of the throat and they dont have much time to taste it.