Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I being naive?? (re what do you really need for a baby!)

Percy Guest

Default Am I being naive?? (re what do you really need for a baby!)

We went looking at baby stuff on the weekend and am a bit over welmed by it all!

Am I naive or wrong to think that all we really need for the beginning is:

cot and mattress and linen
    clothes and nappies (we'll be doing cloth)
    pram
    car seat

Am I missing somethign? I went over the list the baby store gave us and it seemed way way OTT!! I'm intending on breastfeeding - and I guess if it doesn't work hubby can always go out and get the stuff. My SIL is a lactation consultant so even if hubby can't she could get me the stuff.

Anything I am missing??

Thanks!

littlerigger Guest

I don't think you're being naive at all. Maybe a baby wearing device of some form - these can be a life saver. But the list from the shops do tend to be OTT because they want you to spend money there We bath ryan in the sink so never bothered with the baby bath (they grow out of them so fast) um.... I found a change table invaluable because I have a bad back so all ryan's changes, nappy & clothes are done on here. but really, if you have drawrs etc already, yup place for the baby to sleep, ckothes & nappies, pram / car seat sounds good to me. Better to spend $$ when you find you actually need something than to spend a mint and find yourself saying "WTF did I buy that?"

JMO

Percy Guest

Oh yeah I forgot about a Baby Bjorn type of thing - thats a definate!

Not too sure on the change table - I've always thought the best place for tha baby would be the floor as they can't roll off - but then again I don't have a bad back (at the moment!!!) so I guess thats why I've not thought of it.

Thanks!

Hi Percy, No I think you've spotted one of the great consumer plots of our time! They're very eager to sell us all sorts of weird gadgetry when, as you point out, there are some basic needs and the rest is pretty much extraneous!

Yes a sling is a high priority, and the other thing that we couldn't have done without was a rocker (means you can eat tea while rocking with your foot). We bought ours for $10 from the trading post (!) The other thing you might need (for breastfeeding) is breast pads and make sure you have a comfy chair.

And because I'm a literacy nut, i'll also say get a good book about reading to your baby!! (which you can get at the local library anyhow)
    :-)

I think you've got it covered. I didn't use a change table, floor or bed is fine. We actually got a baby bath at ikea for $16 and Im still using it (she's 9 months) she just sits in it. I only use it when DH is here, he fills it and puts it on the bench, SO good for my back. Bending into bath is really tiring.
    Apart from that, I got a hug a bub, awesome sling that I couldn't have lived without. And that's it!! (oh and I was given a rocker that turned out to be a godsend. Still use it)! xo

I'd recommend a change table - especially for when bub gets bigger but so we didn't waste money or space we bought a chest of draws with 3 sides on the top and then a foam change mat to sit on top. It's brilliant cause all her wipes, creams...are in the top draw, clothes are in the other 3 draws and we hang the nappies on the side. Also a hug-a-bub is definately a must. SO much easier than lugging a pram around, u can b/f whilst bub is in it, u have 2 free hands. I did have a baby bjorn but found that as dd got heavier my back would ache. SHe is now 13months and we still frequently use the HAB. The only other things i would say are a must are some large muslin wraps - 'tender wraps' are great. They can be used in summer and winter and wrap bub up tight and snug until they are large enough to not need wrapping any longer.

Thanks for starting this post Percy. I've been thinking exactly the same thing.
    My biggest gripe is prams. They just seem so OTT.

I'm not getting a pram for a while, I'm just using my sling until she gets bigger, so even they aren't necessary. The only thing I did like having is the rocker or a pram to hold them when you need a hands free moment... Matilda had reflux and I couldn't just pop her on the ground, but other than that, sounds good

I think part of the fun is actually going out afterwards and buying the stuff you didn't know you needed!
    In the first few days after baby came along I bought the sling (HAB), a playmat to put her down on, books, a microwave steriliser, and a few more pink clothes since I hadn't known what she was before hand.
    Our change table has been invaluable - we still use it now.
    Maybe chase up a couple of good nappy buckets now, and a clothes hamper, but you will get given all the stuff like face washers, wraps, blankets and toys, so probably best to wait until you see what people give you before you buy them.
    Also - maybe try and borrow a rocker as I found I didn't get the use out of mine, soI was super happy I didn't buy one.

I had a change table for Maddison & it was a PITA, took up too much room for very little use, as I changed her wherever I was at the time... So never got one with Indah & havent missed it!
    A rocker I was given from work & Indah hated it, so it was brought out once or twice & has since been collapsed under her cot..
    We use our HAB (after initially having been given a baby bjorn) we borrowed one off Melbel first & Indah loved it so i bought my own.. & Indah still likes being in there, although she loves sitting in her pram too (I got a 4 wheeler pram from Target reduced to $90 from last seasons colours) So keep you eyes out after seasons for prams, portacots , highchairs etc...
    We were given a highchair & somehow we managed to get our old cot returned, nothing else though!
    We still put Indah some nights in the baby bath it has a hose for draining & fits under our kitchen sink, she likes to sit up there & look at our dog out the window in the back yard, but usually she showers with me or baths with Maddy in the big bath... It was $24 from Kmart, the plug is so awesome & easy to drain..
    We used cloth nappies from birth too..

So I'd add flannelette flats & snibs, but other than that I dont think you need all the big things...
    once they are about 6ish wks I find a lay mat with hanging stuff over valuable when you need to cook, pee or just put baby down for 5 mins!!! hee hee

angelfish Guest

I think your list looks good! You could spend the extra money stocking up on food and bathroom supplies so you don't have too much regular shopping to do during your babymoon (although you'll still need to get fresh produce of course). Also a highchair is pretty essential (OK, you can do without, but it's very convenient), but obviously you don't need that for the first few months. Also if shopping dollars are very limited, I'd get the sling in preference to the pram. I found a good compromise for change table was to buy just the padded change mat and place it on top of a small chest of drawers (or whatever sturdy surface you have that's the right height).

I got a cheap four wheel pram for about $150 and that's great for shopping and going to lunch with my mothers group!! I also love her mat with the hangy stuff (as Tracey said) was fabulous when she didn't move, and now the mat is just there for playing.

Thanks for this thread, Percy, I've been thinking the same! The only things I'd have added to the list are drawers/change table and wardrobe for the clothes. We're going with a cotbed to make the transition from cot to big bed easier too. I'm someone else who's going to look at prams maybe a bit later and just use a baby bjorn for a couple of months.

Baby bouncer is something else I "want", but SiL is giving me hers as niece didn't like it. I'd also say to get things like cleansers and shampoos when they're on sale and store them up.

I think a little rocker thing is great! It was a lifesaver for me as Kaitlyn loved lying in it and staring out the window which gave me a minute here and there to just relax or wash bottles ect ect. I picked mine up for about $40.00 so they are pretty cheap.

I'd also say to get things like cleansers and shampoos when they're on sale and store them up
    Careful with stocking up on too much though.....even the most pure/organic/natural ones can irritate some babies skin: it is really trial and error........I stocked up on what worked for Olivia and of course, sods law, it made Charlie's baby skin all red and itchy........total waste!

Percy Guest

Thanks all for your replies. I should add one reason we don't want to get too much "stuff" is that we're currently in a two bedroomed flat - albeit a reasonably sized one. The baby won't have its own room in this flat becuase my mum will be visiting from Australia from time to time so we need the spare room as a guest room.

Like the idea of just having a mat instead of a change table - great idea!

I won't stock up on baby shamppos (though will do for me) becuase I have quite sensitive skin and think the baby will probably as well so would rather be safe then sorry in that area.

The baby carrier is a definate - and is the rocker - forgot about one of those!

Thanks all again.

Have you thought about breast pads, breast pump and breastfeeding pillow?

Yep, breastpads and a manual pump were great for me - I found regular pillows were fine.
    You haven't put any clothes/blankets on your list - I'm assuming you have these
    singlets that are all in one are great because they don't ride up.

just to second that I found muslin wraps were essential, the bigger the better. Some brands make 120x120, and I really wouldn't get much smaller than this becuase little babies just grow too fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast