Thread: Angel Monitor

Default Angel Monitor

Hi, Im just wondering if anyone uses the angel monitor that has the alarm to detect breathing? It's just that ours went off last night for the first time ever (coco is almost 10 months) and it scared us to death. Luckily she was fine. She was right up the opposite end of the cot though, which is a new development. Do you think it could've been that? Im probably scaring myself unneccessarily, and should get rid of it, but I like to have it on just in case. Just wondering if anyone has had similar, or uses the monitor?? thanks
    xox

Yep I've heard of them going off when bub moves off them like that.

Meg,

We have the Angelcare monitor. They can go off if the baby moves away from the sensor (although ours hasn't for that reason). It's not a fault with the device though because when you think about it, that is what it is for. At least you know it will go off if there is a problem if you know what I mean.

But of course, whether you keep it is up to you. =) I bought mine knowing full well it wasn't guaranteed to help prevent SIDS but I wanted it for my own peace of mind anyway.

Regards,

Mel

Fee Guest

We have the Angelcare (with one sensor pad only). It has gone off twice - but Cooper had not moved off the pad. So it wasn an unknown reason! Gave us a hell of a fright though. It didn't beep for long either - just a few seconds. Obviously a little glitch.

I love it though - gives me peace of mind.

Yes like the others said it does go off when they move off the sensor pad. I can remember the panic that DH had when it went off the first few times. We raced each other to her room then after a while we didn't run there because we knew what it was. We took the sensor pad out of her cot a while ago and we still use it to listen to her.

Thanks guys. Im sure it must've been because she was right up the other end. Tim moved the pad to the middle of the cot today (it was right down bottom from when she slept down there!! Now she moves). I am keeping it in, I love the peace of mind, don't think I'd sleep without it. Will keep it in until she's at least one, probably a bit longer!!
    It gave us the fright of our life, it's the first time in 10 months it's happened, I was out of bed before the first beep even finished. DH was saying "get her up get her up", poor guy, he didn't know what was going on, whereas I got to her and could feel her moving so knew she was ok.
    Anwyay, just nice to know it works and also that it can go off when they're off the sensor pad!
    xoxoxo

Meg, yes the middle is a good idea. I should have said that is where ours is. I have found William in all sorts of positions when I go to pick him up and it hasn't yet gone off so maybe that is why. Now that I've said that it will probably alarm tonight and scare the crap out of us.

I don't have one. but I definatley want to get an Angelcare monitor next time, for some piece of mind.

Someone told me that having the fan on is enough wind pressure to make the sensor pad believe the baby is breathing, so if baby wasn't breathing (God forbid) then the alarm wouldn't go off, beacause the fan would register as breathing. Does any one know this to be true?

Ella, yes a fan or fan heater can be enough noise to convince the pad that everything is okay. I probably wouldn't leave one on in the baby's room after I went to bed myself for that reason.

So yes, the monitor does give peace of mind but you need to be aware of those issues when you're using it.

Fee Guest

I thought it worked on the pressure of the baby on the sensor, breathing

I wouldn't have thought a fan would trick it...???

I know I can just tap the cot (when she's not in it) and it stops the alarm going off...

I think that the sensor does work on pressure and movement rather than sound, but if there is something in the room that can make vibrations ie. fan, mobile on the cot etc. It could be enough movement for the sensor to register, therefor not registering if the baby had stopped breathing.

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by webbmeg View Post
    I know I can just tap the cot (when she's not in it) and it stops the alarm going off...
    I can understand that but didn't think a fan could set it off but yeah I guess if the fan causes vibration on the mattress. I was more thinking someone said the noise of it.

I get it now!