Thread: anger & violence in a 2 year old

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

Thumbs down anger & violence in a 2 year old

Lately my daughter has started having extreem anger. She kicks and hits us and screams "I'm not happy" more and more frequently. Today I've almost had my nose broken and just about got a black eye. My ribs are hurting from her kicking me while I was on the floor the other day too.

My best friend tells me she remembers her daughter having big angry outbursts at around this age too. So, is it normal? How long will I be a punching bag for?

DD1 has just started kicking everything in anger, she is normally such a quiet, placid girl but if she doesn't get her own way the furniture takes a hit, she has even swung at me a couple of times.

Dare say, afterwards she spends in time out and doesn't come back until she has apologized, nothing much you can do besides that. I don't believe in smacking in that situation cause I think it send the wrong message.

my 2 year old isn't doing it (yet!), but i know ds did at around 2.3/3ish.
    i wonder if it's frustration in not being able to get their point across, they're learning to be independant, but don't always have a) the skills to communicate what they want to do or b) the skills to actually do it.
    i'd wait it out, try not to react too much, maybe just say 'please don't hurt mummy, it makes mummy sad' (sounds cheesy, worked with mine though), and hopefully once they gain more skills etc, the frustration will peter out.
    i'm sure it's all completely normal xo

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

Thanks girls. I'll try time out and stuff, even if all the time out is is a time out for myself away from her until she calms down. LOL.

Today she was screaming "I'm not mummy" so I told her that no she isn't mummy, she's Jazzy so she yelled "I'm not Jazzy!"