Thread: Anti Highchair

Default Anti Highchair

Well Kaitlyn has decided this week that the highchair is no longer acceptable as a tool for meal times!.

She wants to sit at her little table and chairs which I dont mind ..problem is she also wants to wander around with food and she is eating ALOT less.

Do I just wait it out and she will learn to remain seated with her food? Or do I persist with the screaming and still try to encourage the highchair as I am sure the faze will pass?.

What age is normal to start wanting out of the highchair?

what about buying one of those plastic kids chairs that strap onto your normal chair? That way she will feel like a "grown up" sitting at the table still.

Cass ive already posted in our babybuddies thread but Ive just set up Sammys little wooden table and chairs and am encouraging him to sit and eat there...he loves it cos its little but grown up kwim..maybe you could give it a try?

Jo

I have one of those booster seats where you strap them in so they can't escape from the "big" table for this bub. With DD#1, I would take her food away as soon as she stood up, telling her she was not to walk around with food.

Not only does it get messy (and they eat less) but what if they trip with food in their mouth and choke?

Good luck with it!

Even 18 month olds can learn that if they leave the table, the food gets taken away and no amount of screaming will bring it back...snack is in 2 hours.

This worked a charm for me with all of the many kids I nannied and I had little darlings that knew that when they were done they would take their plate to the sink. If they chose to walk off after 3 mouthfuls, the plate would be taken away and it rarely took more than 2 'shocks' to have the lesson very well learnt.

Good luck,
    A

thanks girls!.

Jo I have set up her little table and chairs but I think I iwll need to take Adeles advice with the removing of food as she does tend to walk away - and I am concerned about her choking.

I also have on of those plastic booaster seats attached to our outdoor setting ( she is eating breakfast in it with Daddy as I speak!) So I might bring that in and see how she goes at the table sitting in that.

Thanks ladies!