Thread: Antibiotics and gut flora...

Default Antibiotics and gut flora...

Both Xander and myself have been put on antibiotics by my GP as a preventative measure, as Xander hasn't had his full course of vaccinations yet, as we were (unknowingly) exposed to a baby with whooping cough. :eek:

Could anyone please tell me what I can take to look after both Xander and myselfs' healthy gut flora/bacterias... I am prone to thrush so need to start asap. Is there anything that will help Xander via my breastmilk or will he have to take it as well?

Oh, and money is pretty tight so would prefer something that is inexpensive (other than eating heaps of yoghurt - already doing that) and easily available at most chemists etc.

Thanks!

If money/ease of attaining wasn't an issue, I would highly reccommend In-Liven, a completely 100% organic probiotic. Works wonders and it is safe for children. But other than that, check out your health food store, you should be able to get other probiotics there.

In-Liven is great for you. I'm using it as I was on 2 heavy courses of ab's and now am on them again.

With Jovie we were told to get Nourishing Floura (30) a probiotic where I dip my finger into it & rub it on her tongue 4 times a day. I stopped it a few days after finishing ab's and now that I'm on them again I am giving them to her again. Antibiotics are known to do damage to the lining of the gastrointestinal tract of bubs & it takes them heaps longer to recover. Goodluck!!

Shannon, could you tell me the name of that probiotic powder? I went into the chemist today and they were verrrry reluctant to sell me any probiotic if I was planning on giving it to Xander.

ETA: Thanks Christy, but my chemist hadn't heard of Nourishing Flora?

Or do I really need to go to a healthfood store? I am trying to stay out of public places as much as possible right now - Xander doesn't appear to have WC, but I'd feel so bad if he did and I had passed it on.

There are two baby probiotics available from health food stores. I use neo care for coco. They also have a range for adults. I use one that I have run out of and can't remember but is not well known. Just ask health shop. xoxo

Hello, If you're trying to affect your gut flora, don't bother with any other type of yoghurt than Vaalia, apparently it's the only one that's got enough units of the live culture to really affect the balance of your intestine (that's from my friend the dietician)!

That's great to know as Vaalia is what I'm eating!

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

my health food shop sold me inner health plus for kids but it doesn't say for under 1 or not - he said would be okay .I just started vaiila baby yoghurt -i just started mixing a very small amount - wonder how much is in that ?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Fast Tract is more concentrated than In-Liven and you can give it to kids as a liquid which is not disgusting LOL. In-Liven also has the well-being and nutrient aspect to it but harder to get kids to take sometimes. Some kids are fine but some like mine are difficult!

Fast Tract is organic and unlike other pro-biotics, not fast tracked in faecal matter. Grose huh? They grow the pro-biotics naturally from fruit and vegies. Also, unlike the inner health type of preparations and yoghurt, Fast Tract is more concentrated and has 13 strains of pri-biotic - not the one or two they rave about in ads and on the packaging. So you are getting a super strong, broad spectrum pro-biotic. Check out the link in my sig to read more, but it is a highly superior product, and will work quicker and will be more potent than the usual counter preparations. Safe for babies etc - you would give 1ml daily to a baby.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know