Thread: ARRGGGHHH Chicken Pox!

Pietta Guest

Default ARRGGGHHH Chicken Pox!

Does anyone have advice on making a happy Mum/baby when your toddler has chicken pox??

Poor Ryley became spotty today and has one on his tounge..

Aww poor Ryley! Sorry i have no advice for you, as i've never had chicken pox! Reminds me i must get that injection for it! I hope he is feeling better really soon. Go to the chemist and ask if he can use pine-tarsol, since he is young. But thats what they normally use for chicken pox, i used it when i had a weird rash when i was pg and it workded wonders for the itch.

Pietta Guest

Thanks Tegan!!

Tigergirl1980 Guest

A pinetarsol (I think that's how you spell it) bath, I had them and the doctor recommended that, it stops the itching. Not sure about the one on the tongue though, poor little thing. I hope he gets better soon

Hope Ryley's feeling better soon, Pee!

Maybe ice blocks? :-k dunno but its always worked wonders for Matilda. I make them at home with banana, strawberry, apple juice (diluted) & yogurt. mmmm...if I can't get her to eat because of teeth or tonsilitis she'll always have an ice block.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigergirl1980
    A pinetarsol (I think that's how you spell it) bath, I had them and the doctor recommended that, it stops the itching. Not sure about the one on the tongue though, poor little thing. I hope he gets better soon
    Haha.. hate that stuff.. smells like cigarettes! There are some other options.. which are nicer.. (try a search, theyve been mentioned before on BB)..

Remember this positive: Theyre better off having them now then when theyre older (not that it helps when you have a sick baby).. older chickenpox = hell.

Pee: this is the thread to read here:
    http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/view...ht=chicken+pox
    It was about excema but the same thing works for chicken pox (the oat bath thing, and i added some extras a couple of posts down)..

Hope that helps.. that bath really helped my lil bro when he was sick.. the smell of the pinetarsol made him feel sick, but he said the oat things i made him helped more anyway.[/u]

My little boy got chicken pox at 18 months - a very bad dose of it. I took him to the doctors and he needed antibiotics as some of them had become infected - particularly one near his eye. He also needed baby panadol for the pain and fever and loads of cuddles and fluids. One night I actually let him sleep with no nappy as he had so many spots making him uncomfortable.

One good thing I was told by the doctor was that having chicken pox in childhood at least meant it would never recur for the rest of his life, whereas babies immunised against chicken pox may not be immune for life as the vaccination is so new they don't know exactly how long it will be effective.

I actually had chicken pox twice in my childhood - so it can recur, but I think its because the first time I had it relatively mildly.

Pee - can you put something like Calamine lotion on his spots to stop the itching? (Not sure if its suitable for babies though?)

I hope the poor little chappy is feeling better soon!! Big *hugs* for you both!

Apparantly calamine lotion is bad, because it dries the skin and can cause more scarring, i cant remember if the chemist or the dr told us that.. but one did.... baths are meant to be good for itching.. does he like being in water? 8 baths a day!!! hehe

When everyone here had it (3 next door neighbours 16, 16, 18.. cousin 16, and bro 13).. one of the twins (16) got them in his mouth pretty bad.. the dr ended up giving him antibiotics to make sure no infection happened.. so maybe just keep an eye on them

Hope hes feeling better!

Pietta Guest

Thanks for the advice everyone!!
    He is getting pox in places where there shouldnt be spots- 8-[ and he has like a huge cluster on his head which he tries to scratch... my poor little boy. He is sleeping though which is a good thing.
    He had a bath today and he is okay with baths- not too good though.
    Anyway thanks again- ill be mia for a while

Oh Pee, poor Ryley! I had 3 kids have them when I was pg with Jessica, Josh got them first and 2 wks later Jordan and Jemma had them. And just when I was thnking of the injection too.

I used pinetarsal in the bath, and I had this clear cream which the chemist suggested, and the spots come everywhere. Josh had one in the eye of his penis and he was devastated. I hope he doesn't get too many more. I think iceblocks sound like a good idea, maybe even shve them or grate them, or icecream or jelly, anything to soothe sounds nice.

Best wishes michelle

Pee, your poor little man. I swear by Tea tree lotion. Get it from suppermarket in a white bottle (like sun cream bottle flip top lid) I think it is in the natural med area. DH had pox when he was 25 and it did wanders. Stops the itch, keeps the skin moist but dries the spot out. dh recovered a lot quicker with it than what us kids did when we had it. The lotion is also good for sunburn and bites so you can see it moisturises and dries at the same time.

Hope he is not too miserable.

Pietta Guest

Thanks again ladies!!

OMG How far behind am i!! Rose CONRATS!!!

He is a little whingy today but overall i am quite suprised at how well he is doing- you can tell he is uncomfortable though...

Thanks Pee,

Hope little Ryley feels better soon. Are you getting much sleep?

Pietta Guest

LOL- what is sleep again? hehehe
    actually he is sleeping MUCH better now!

Go figure...