Thread: Attachment Problem

Default Attachment Problem

Well right at this moment, no matter what i do, Lily is screaming the place down because DF has gone out to get some dinner. This happens every single time he leave the room even, if she can't see him. If he goes to have a shower, Lily will scream and scream and scream until he's back. I've tried EVERYTHING! It's really distressing for her and for me and I hate to see her like this but have no idea what to do!

Custardtart Guest

My cousin started a routine with her child that every time she left, she'd say "rule no.1 - Mummy ALWAYS comes back". She started leaving the house for five minutes then coming back and saying it again as soon as she got in the door. Her daughter got used to the idea that Mummy leaves, but always comes back.

Kerrie

That is a good idea but am not sure Lily would understand as she is only 9.5 mths old.

It may take a while for it to sink in Tegan, but you'd be surprised how much babies actually do understand/pick up over time

Debbie Lee Guest

Awwww.... I know it must be driving you crazy but that is sooo cute! I think I probably think it's cute because Gabby isn't phased one way or the other if Neil is home or not (he doesn't spend as much time with her as I would like).

Yasin has been going through this too although its settled down a bit now. Playing peek-a-boo might help her better understand that things re-appear after vanishing. I also find that distraction with a favorite toy or a yummy snack can help.

Melinda Guest

I don't think there's any quick fix to this problem unfortunately Tegan!

Jacob can suffer quite a lot with separation anxiety and it is just something that you need to work through.....as much as it can drive you bonkers in the meantime!! I know it's really hard, and peek-a-boo games and distractions can definitely help, but sometimes nothing will work......as has been the case with Jacob. I find that I simply have to give him the attention/cuddles/reassurance that he needs.......it's really upsetting for us both when he gets himself into such a frenzy!