Thread: Australian Baby Hands?

Default Australian Baby Hands?

Hi, Has anyone purchased this book? Not sure I know how it could work.
    Any experiences welcome!
    Laura

Is this a baby signing book? I'm not familiar with that one, but we visited friends recently with a 10 mo, they were using the Tinytalk baby sign language system. It was so cute, little R could already sign milk, dog and birdy! I'm definitely doing the sign lang thing with my next bubba, DD was always so frustrated and I reckon we can bypass a lot of that!
    :-)

pippa Guest

I'm an Occupational Therapist, not a Speech Pathologist, but I know that babies can sign before they can speak. It doesn't matter what signs you use as long as they are consistent and easy. I am going to just use regular sign language with April, but that is because I can sign already. In reality, you only ever get about 5, maybe 10 signs before most children can talk anyway. Some of the best words to make up signs for are more, eat, drink, finished. Other ones are cute but not so functional like bath, sleep, book.

Don't be put off buying the book, I'm just not sure you will get enough use out of it. Why not try your local library for either the actual book, or any book on sign language. You can then just start with the basics and see how you get on.

Hope that helps

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

there is a website you can download the six basic ones for free.I have started with Sam & Joel - mainly milk at first.

goodluck there was another thread with some info about it ... ask Angel

thanks everyone

There is a site called sign swap dot com dot au where you can download the 13 signs of communication. HTH

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

yes Lisa
    I have that one too - can't wait for Sam & Joel to use signs.

Yep, I have Australian Baby hands. It's pretty good... a handy size & has quite a few basic signs in it based on AUSLAN. I use both that and the AUSLAN dictionary (which is very good but absolutely huge!).

Kynan's doing pretty well with signing now and DH was saying the other day how much easier it is now that he can understand more of what Kynan's trying to say. Much less frustration all round!