Thread: Awake/Play Time for 8 week old??

Default Awake/Play Time for 8 week old??

I am struggling to keep Tahli now 8 weeks awake during the day... She is haveing restless sleeps, where I am having to nurse her back to sleep or at the very least patting her back to sleep 2-3 times each sleep, then when she due to wake she'll feed which takes about 10 mins (bottle) then is sooking again to go to sleeo within 20 mins of that. I know that they're meant to stay awake for around an hour, at around 4 weeks or so, but what about now, should I be trying to keep her awake even longer?

She tends to be ok of a night with sleeps, although She'll pick one to be a terror at, but compared to what she was doing a month ago I can handle that!

Please ideas, and advice will be much appreciated.

Love

Mel, Kiara and Tahli!

20 mins awake time after a feed sounds fairly normal to me. I think DD was about 12 weeks before she was having an hour of awake time total.

Keep an eye out for the tired signs, rather than going by the clock. Wait until you see a yawns, rubbing eyes, nestling into your shoulder and pop her into bed.

It may be that she is getting a bit overtired during the day and is having trouble settling herself back to sleep after a sleep cycle.

I agree with Cally, I would watch her signs rather than worry about what time it is that she's awake for. She might be growing, or she's just a bub that needs more sleep. My DD still sometimes only make it to 2 hrs of a morning before getting really tired and grumpy for a morning sleep. I used to try to keep her awake, but it just makes her more grumpy and therefore me more stressed out!

I've been told a yawn is the last of tired signs.
    My HN said babies at this age should sleep (or rest in bed) in excess of 15 hours per day.

I think an hour to 1.5hrs is the awake time for this age group. I was a bit if a clock watcher to start with as I just couldn't pick tired signs. DD would yawn within 10 mins of being awake so that wasn't a sign for us. So I would just try and gether back to sleep within an hour or so of waking up. If it went past 2 hrs and she wasn't alseep I would then push/bounce/rock/carry her to sleep. If she became overtired she became v cranky and v hard to settle. Even now I make an effort to keep DD awake for a certain amount of time during the day or else she will just sleep and sleep all day and be awake all night.