Thread: Baby Blood Type

Question Baby Blood Type

Out of curiosity I would like to know what my DD blood type is. Does anyone know their kids? Is it the same as you or your DH or a combo. I have no idea how it works! I'm A+ and my Dh is B+ so I assume she would be one of those.

We found out our kids when they were born. They tested the blood when they needed blood for the guthrie test etc

Love

I find the inheritance of blood types fascinating (it can be a bit complicated though). I am O– and my husband is O+. But my DS is O– so my DH must be carrying a negative recessive gene! Yay! That meant no need for me to have another injection after DS was born!

Google “blood type inheritance” for more info. I’ll see, if I’ve got time later I can add some more info.

But to answer your question, we found out DS’s blood type soon after he was born. Your DD’s blood type will depend on what recessive genes you are both carrying. There are lots of different possible combinations.

OMG I was just speaking to my girlfriend about this yesterday.
    What a freaky coincidence!!

She thought it was written in her Yellow (or Purple now) book that you get from the hospital. But it works out it was only her blood type, which is all I have too.
    I was told by the midwife (during the guthrie test where they ***** the foot) that you usually don't get told the blood type anymore unless for a specific reason, as there is no need for it. Because if a situation came up where you did need to know the blood type your child is, they wouldn't take your word for it anyway and do a test on the spot.
    I hope I am making sense with my ramblings.

I am so dying to know my children's blood type as they could be anything with the two of us both A and the other B with the recessive O.

How did others get the guthrie results with your child's blood type on it too? Posted out to you or what?

Its definitely strange how it all works, I'm A+, hubby is 0 and DS is A-. Apparently the A+ and O don't make an A-, but that comes from my side, my dad is A- so I carry that gene

ok this is a hard one.

I'm O- not sure about hubby. Ike is also O-
    it should say on babies hospital papers what the blood group is.

i don't think its easy to work out i just know if your a neg type you have to have the antiD shots.

I have O- blood so had to have anti d throughout my pregnancy, So they had to get DS blood type when they did the guthrie test, Ds turned out to have A+ like DH, which was a pain as i had to have another injection!

I didn't get any documents or anything given/posted to me after, so i think they might just keep it on hospital record.

Like mumzy said in a situation where it is needed they would test themselves any way just to be certain.

Its standard practice at most hospitals only to check the babies blood type when the mum has a negative RH factor.

I want to know what DS is too, DH isn't even sure what his own blood type is.

Ellibam Guest

im o- and had to have the antid shots with makon when he was born we found out he was 0- a few months later ben finally got his blood tested and he is o- aswell so i will never have to have anti d again as we can only make o- babies(the best blood in the world)

Im O+, DH doesnt know what he is and no idea what DS is. I had a look all over the hospital papers and his blue book and it doesnt say. Would like to know too what he is but dont want to take any blood just to find out.

maybe they tested ike at birth cause im a neg blood type.

i know a pos type can have any blood type baby without complications but a neg blood mum can have problems if the bub is not also neg.

its just so confusing.

Ellissa,

My mum and dad are also both O- so my sister and I could only ever have been O- too. But my Mum still had to have the anti D shots because generally doctors don’t take the mother’s word for it that the baby’s father is the guy she says he is, probably because every now and again the father isn’t who the mother says he is, and it’s not worth the medical risk to the baby.

It will be interesting what the doctors will have to say to you about anti D for your next pregnancy? Perhaps be prepared that they will still make (? not sure if they can??) you have the shots?

I’ll still have to have them cos my DH is +ve (with –ve recessive).

I am A- and my DH is A+
    I was given the anti D injection after my twins were born and my m/c
    My DS- twin 1 is A+ like his dad and my DD - twin 2 is A- like me!
    so one of each!
    we were told when they were in SCU and NICU as they had to know their bloodtypes in case of transfusions. I was only told as i asked!!
    odette

I was told that they only check and tell you your babies blood type if you are rh neg. I am O- and DH is AB+ DD1 is B+ and DD2 is AB+. I have had to have the dreaded anti D (ok its not that bad) through both the pgs etc.

I'm O- and DH is A-. DD is neg too but no idea what group she is. I never had the anti-D with her as i was told i didnt need it if we were sure DH's blood type was neg (he had a BT to prove to them). But with DS's pregnancy they bullied me into having it throughout the pregnancy saying that there was still a chance bub could be pos. I now know it's impossible! DS is A- like DH.

I am A- and DH is A+. They tested bubs from his cord sample when he was born and held off giving me the Anti-D until the results came back. He was A- too so I didn't need the shot.

If you are -ve it means you have 2 -ve genes, as in -- if you are positive, you could either have two positives ++ or a positive and a negative +-. Therefore if you and your partner are both -ve you can only have -ve babies (-- plus --). It is harder if you are +ve cos then you wont know what your baby might be. (cheeky side note - if you are both negative and you have a positive baby...you have some explaining to do!).

I find it really facinating. We both found out our blood type when we gave blood. O- is the universal donor - they can give blood to ANYONE so very handy to have one in the family

Hey Dragonbub, you did a really great job explaining that. It’s exactly what I wanted to say but just haven’t had the time to think about how to write it down. Yes O- can give blood to anyone, but can’t accept blood from anyone but O-.