Thread: Baby choking / gagging

Fee Guest

Default Baby choking / gagging

Cooper sometimes does this and it scares the hell out of me! Sometimes it's out of the blue and othertimes it's after I have tried to put the dummy in or my pinky finger.

It's like he's gagging - his mouth is open and I can sort of see his mouth and tongue moving like he's choking on something.

He usually just comes fine after a few seconds or so.

Does anyone know what this is?

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Sam does this too and I think it is a bit of reflux - because he has a look like he swallowed something sour but rarely brings anything up.

He may have an overactive gag reflex, or it may be reflux. If he catches his breath afterwards I wouldn't be too worried, but at the same time it might be worthwhile getting it investigated.

Fee Guest

Yeah I was thinking it could be an overactive gag reflex. I will have to ask next time I'm at the clinic.

I don't think he has reflux - what are other symptoms? He settles well, rarely vomits/possits etc.

Becca@BellyBelly Guest

Oskar has just started sucking his thumb and often puts it so far into his mouth he gags! Does Cooper have his hands in his mouth when it happens?

I love his photo on your ticker at the moment

Fiona reflux tends to come with behavioural and/or physical symptoms..like screaming after feeds, pulling their legs up & arching their backs, vomitting after feeds (large amounts) or continuous vomitting between feeds, unsettled behaviour, regurgitation, gagging... Just some of the symptoms. If he seems happy enough I would think its most likely a overactive gagging reflux. He "should" grow out of it, but definately get it checked.

Fee Guest

Becca No he doesn't have his hands in his mouth when it happens. Sometimes it will be just out of the blue. Once it happened when I put my pinky in his mouth to try to settle him (although I've done this before without him gagging). And other times it has been when I tried to stick the dummy in (he won't take one but at times I've tried when I've become very frustrated).

Christy Yeah I don't think he has reflux from those things you posted. But I will get him checked out soon.

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by B456
    Fee if its silent relfux - it can present itself without any other symptoms than the gagging. My daughter was an extreme case. I'll go and find my post in the "Ask support panel" bit of the plat threads (Im hopeless at posting links to other threads) and *bump* it up to the 1st pg so you can see it and have a read.
    I'm not Platinum - will I be able to read it?

Fee Guest

I think you'd be able to...

Brooke sure you can I think it would beneficial for Fiona to have a read of that.

Fee Guest

Brooke, do you have that info? Thanks

Cooper did the gag thing again yesterday - the longest time too. I was waiting for him to go blue in the face, I was that worried.

*Kristee* Guest

Hey girls,
    Tarleha does the same thing, but she does have projectile and silent reflux but her gagging and choking is not related. DD has breathing problems like asthma but won't diagnose it as she is only 3 months tomorrow.
    It does scare the crap out of you, i have had my daughter actually stop breathing completely 4 times now.
    So please go and get it checked out.

Kristee-Lea - 21
    Tarleha Maye - 29/06/06
    Tying the knot 7th April
    TTC March/April (unofficially Jan onwards)

Fee Guest

Wow Brooke, what a story. Thanks for posting all the info. How scary. I feel a bit scared now! :eek:

I will definitely have to ask the clinic about it. All I can describe it as, is probably how we as an adult gag. Sort of like if you stick the toothbrush too far down your throat!

Cooper doesn't do it often, but when he does it's quite scary.