Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baby clothes - how many in what size?

Question baby clothes - how many in what size?

Hi
    not sure if this is in the right spot.
    I'm really unsure about how many different new born baby clothes I need and in what sizes. The 000's look so big but I read that they grow out of them really quickly. Do all babies fit into 0000 at first or just really small ones? I saw some 00000's and i had no idea if I was meant to be starting with them. Help! :eek:

Its so confusing hey? Sammy was 9lbs4oz born..the little heifer lol...but he still was in 0000s for a couple of weeks....we just laughed and gavea away the 00000s to the girls for their dolls! If you have a couple of 0000s like Fletchie has said you should be right and then work out what you need from there. I know even though I have been prepared each time with clothes..when baby actually arrives you still want to go shopping for more!!!

Jo

Tallon was 6lb, and he wore 0000's for a fair while. We moved into 000's even tho they were a little big.. but good news is... we've been in 00's for aaaaages now! The growth slows down after a while He wears some 0's, but mainly coz of the cloth nappies, pants need to be up a size... hehe. But 00 t-shirts fit just fine. Haven't had to buy clothes in ages actually!

Both my girls were in 0000 for 2 weeks, so I always have 3-4 things to put them in. Then 000 is longer so I make sure I have at least a week's worth of clothes, so 7 items and maybe 3 bonds wondersuits (but wondersuits sizing runs really small). All the different brands really have different sizing which is confusing, remember bonds runs small, big W runs big....

I didn't bother buying any 0000. The 000 were slighty big to begin with but she grew into them and out of them pretty quick. I have found the bonds suits sizing to be smaller than other sizing as Ashleigh went into 00 in these long before she grew out of any other of her 000 clothes.
    Remember too you will prolly be given alot of things too. I ended up with heaps outfits but worked out well when I got slack with the washing.
    I'd say just stock up on little suits they are so easy and warm.

Jesse was born 8 lb 9oz. He fit into his 0000 for about 2 weeks. No way would he have fit into a 00000. I think theyre for premmies, so no dont buy them unless you go early.
    He is just growing out of the 000's now (at 14 weeks/3 months). Depending on the make, some fit him some dont. Alot of clothes he wears now are 00's, again depending on the make as to whether it fits or is a little big (comfortably big). But in saying that, he has a long sleeve bodysuit from target in 00 that is too short!

So in my opinion if i was to do it all again.. dont buy too much of the small stuff... or even clothes for that matter. I would buy it as you go along. Buy a few 0000's to get you through when bubs is born and then go from there. Dont go all out on buying outfits in 0000 too as you prob wont use them.. its so much easier when theyre that little to just put them in an all over suit, like the bonds wonder suits... and is more comfortable for them too. I bought a few overalls in 000 as theyre easy to put over the short sleeve body suits. Plus you always get lots of gifts from people.
    Best of luck

DS was 8lbs at birth and he was in 0000's for maybe three or four weeks. He grew out of them very quickly, where as DD seemed to be in them for much longer (but she was only 7lbs born).
    He's 10 weeks now and still in 000's but is just starting to fit into some of the smaller 00 stuff as well.

T grew really quickly he was only 7lb3oz at birth and had 2 wondersuits in 0000 they fitted him perfectly at birth but i wasnt worried about the 000 being a bit too big as i knew he wasnt going to trip over them not sure if it was because he was in cloth but he was in 0000 for a week out of 000 by 2-3 weeks in 00 untill 12 weeks and the big 1 at 5 months EEK
    if you are planning on using cloth (flats) is it a good idea to have singlets/bodysuits in a size bigger to fit over the big bum !

I'm glad I found this thread!

I have been given a few 0000's from a friend, so I don't have to buy any thank goodness. I'm sick of my MIL etc saying "There's no way a full term newborn will fit into those". Now that I've read a 9lb baby will fit into them for at least 2 weeks, I feel better lol! I'm going to purchase a few 000's, and more 00's, as I hear they are in these for longer.

I have more 000 clothes than 0000. I figure by the time bubs will be out of them it will only be a few weeks. DS was in 000 clothes for ages, he is 2yo and still fits into some 0 clothes! Most of his clothes are sz1. Thats what he gets for having 2 short parents!!Hehehehehehe

Riley was 8lb 3oz and wore 0000 for at least a month and he gained weight well. He wore 000 for about 2 months then 00 for about the same or a bit longer and now is mainly in 0 at 7 months (today!!) 00000 are fantastic for baby born dolls as they fit perfectly and are heaps cheaper than proper baby born clothes!

I didn't buy anything smaller than 000, because I expected to have a big baby, and figures that if I need smaller, I can go out and get them, but if I buy them and they're too small, I cant use them at all (since I pre-washed them all, so no returning)

Milo was about 10lb 3oz/4.6kg, and he just fit 0000 for about a week, but 000 were fine and not overly big so he mostly wore those.

I only bought 000 outfits but once my little man was born (weighing in at 3kgs), my Mum ducked off to the shop that day and stocked up on 00000 & 0000's. He was in the 00000's for a month, then spent about a month in the 0000's. Then he grew so much that he barely had any wear out of the 000 stuff.... and has been in 00 for a while now. His bum is a 0 because he wears cloth nappies.

My advice is don't stock up on much!

We were all expecting a small one, cos I didn't look big at all, and then out popped River at 9lb 4oz!! Thankfully my mum had cautioned restraint and I didn't buy too much beforehand.

What I did is this: bought a couple of 0000 and a couple of 000 and then figured out what fit and got my husband or mum to grab some more of what fit!
    Glad I did that, because Riv fit 0000 for maybe a week, if that!

All the best with your buying, it's fun to prepare hey! And all the best with your pregnancy

I'm in Canberra so it gets cold from ANZAC day. I was thinking as many all in ones as I can then topping up with jumpers and rugs (mum is knitting up a storm!)

Annika's Mummy Guest

Annika was born weighing 6lbs 14oz (2.96kg). She is almost a month old, and is still wearing 00000 clothes, and will probably be in them for a little bit longer yet. My advice is don't stock up too much on the smaller clothes, because even a small baby won't be in them for much more than a month. If you have a baby that spews a lot like Annika, you can always put bubs in some 0000 clothes. As it's the summer at the moment, Annika spends most of her time in a singlet and a nappy anyways.

Hi there Caro, Julia was 7 pounds 8 oz and she fit into 0000 for 2 weeks and was in 000 for 2 1/2 months they were a bit big from the start after 2 weeks after birth but has now just gone to 00 at 3 months. I would buy the wondersuits they are the best for April kind of weather, Im guessing its a bit like September weather when my baby was born? I wouldnt buy anything heavier for them to wear while at home or when sleeping if the baby will be wrapped. We had 5 x 0000 and 8 x 000 wondersuits that were great and also 5 baby pumpkin patch body suits which have been great.

Hi -
    DS has long legs and arms but an average length body so how long he stays in one size depends on the time of year. He was born in February and weighed 8lbs 4oz (3.7kg) and because it was summer and he was mostly wearing short-sleeved all in ones or singlets, he stayed in 0000's for a very long time. He stayed in 000's for a while longer than I thought he would and spent less time in 00's then I expected him to. Now he is in 0's and has been in them for MONTHS - again because it is warm and he is mainly wearing short-sleeved and singlet all in ones.
    My other advice is to take into account how often you want to do laundry. DS was a BIG poo-er when he was a newborn (did a poo after every feed just about) and most of them were explosive so we were changing clothes often. If you have a poo machine or a heavy spewer and you don't want to be doing laundry every other day then I would recommend stocking up.
    I hope this advice helps some...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast