Thread: baby cold

Unhappy baby cold

Hi all
    Aneta has her first cold ( thanks to me grrr ).. she had a slight temp this morning so we tried giving her the infant panadol but she spat it all out and cried ( i dont blame her its disgusting ) We tried by squirting it from a syringe into her mouth ( on the side, not straight down her throat )
    I called panadol , they said not to mix it with milk because they havent done any test with that yet and something about the panadol not being absorbed as well that way.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?? ( she doesnt like drinking water either , so we cant mix it with that )

bummer about the cold, no fun! Have you tried baby neurofen? I find my kids prefer it. And stick syringe in as far as poss without it being uncomfortable. Sorry, ,that's all I can think of, good luck xo

Have you tried the lukewarm bathing with a towel first to see if that can help lower her temp? Sometimes taking their clothes off and letting their bodies cool off that way works just as well with a small temp. Otherwise I would try something like neurophen once to see if that works.

Does she suck a dummy? if she does it can make things a bit easier as squeeze the panadol into the side of her mouth as she is sucking at the dummy..or pop a teat into her mouth (not attached to a bottle, just the teat) and put the panadol in the empty teat and that sometimes helps them to suck..
    Don't forget that research shows that panadol should mostly be used for treatment of pain not fever alone..fever itself is beneficial in helping bub's body fight off the virus..but if she is really grizzly, panadol would definatley help her feel better...
    Hope that helps...

poor baby...she will be fine but the first cold is always a hard one. Have you thought about getting a humidifier (SP) they are the best.

Kaitlyn also HATED panadol and Nurofen but usually the amount that she managed to get helped her. I tended to put the suriange as far down her throat as I could but lots still came out. Now Kaitlyn sees the medicine come out and she is wanting it!

thanks all for your advice
    we managed to give her the 1ml of panadol over about 10 minutes, a little bit at a time followed by a sip of water... i think ill get a humidifier tommorow aswell
    I feel so sorry for her , she cant breath , she has a temp , but she's still smiling at me... my poor baby

You can't give her nurofen till she's over 6 months. Have you tried the medicator dummies? Its like a dummy that you can fill with the Panadol and when they suck it comes out. You could also try to sleep her on a slight angle which will help stop congestion and Little Fess is great for her nose if its blocked. Also try the Vicks Baby Balsm. It says from 4 months but you are close enough. If you're still uncomfy with it just put it on her singlet rather then directly on her skin.

That's not all directly related to Panadol lol but Em had a cold when he was only a few weeks old and it was horrible so I completely empathise with you. Hope she's feeling better soon!

Baby colds are pretty miserable, but as some have already mentioned, unless she is really miserable, or the fever is moderate to high, don't bother with the medication. Try holding her while you shower, or sit beside the tub with the shower running with hot water. The steam will help to clear out her nose. A humidifier is also helpful, but for it to really be effective, you have to make a "tent" around her bed with a sheet, or something like that, and put the humidifier under it. Otherwise, it's too much space to fill with moist air, and it won't really work. (We usually take a bed sheet from out bed and tack it to the ceiling around the crib with thumbtacks.) The other thing which is recommended over here is to take a little bit of warm salt water in a syringe (about 1/2 tsp of salt to a cup of warm water) and gently put a drop or two in her nose. (she's not going to like this. ) It will help to clear out the congestion, and if it makes her sneeze, that will help too. If it really gets bad, and if she's not drinking well, make sure you see your doctor!
    Hope it doesn't last too long! All the best.