Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby Einstein DVD

paradise lost Guest

Some observations...

My DD had minimal tv before she was 2 (3 weeks ago). By this i mean that most days she had no tv at all. WHole months would go by with no tv. Occasionally she would get the tv for half an hour, probably 10 or less times in her life. Once or twice when i have been really ill i have put the tv or a kids dvd on for several hours at a time (when i'm too sick to get up/read etc.).

She is very advanced for her age. She speaks in sentences, knows her shapes and colours (including things like telling hexagons from octagons), can count to 20, knows much of the alphabet and can identify all the numbers up to 9 (like knows 8 but would say "one eight" rather than "eighteen"). She recognises about 10 letters of the alphabet and knows the sound they make.

We read and sing a lot together. I wear her in the wrap when i cook and clean and talk her through whatever i'm doing all the time. A german friend came to stay for 2 days this week and she is currently telling me in german that she's filled her nappy!

Now i let her watch tv for half an hour on days we are in the house anyway (3-5 times a week). She has learned about 10 new songs, a bunch of dances and some (about 5 maybe) new words from the tv. BUT she does NOT ask for a book or even necessarily look at me when i call her name if the tv is on. It seems to me to totally absorb her attention in a way that reality doesn't. I can imagine that some of the harm tv does to the minds of kids is by exluding the rest of the world.

I think you can tell by watching your kid how well they cope with tv. I know kids who cannot bear it if the tv is on and kids who have anxiety attacks when you turn it off. It's pretty individual. I do not think there is anything a flat emotionless screen, no matter HOW bright/colourful, can teach your baby than time with it's mother/father/siblings could not teach better, but i also as a single parent appreciate the concept that sometimes 10 minutes of peace can save a whole day.

Bx

My Mil bought some for the girls and my eldest loves them she laughs and laughs at them and sings along to them as well as dance and makes the animal sounds etc
    so to me i feel it is very educational for my girls. Both my girls love them. They are active outdoors girls all day and in the afternoon they can watch a dvd for some chill out time etc.I do mix it up a bit though so some days they watch playschool and others baby einstein but it is only two days a week they get to watch Tv. Otherwise it is flash cards, drawing, pretend play all that kind of stuff.

But my opinion is go and buy some today or tomorrow they are great dvd's.

I am sorry and with all due respect to all of you that have posted in regards to food aditives and adhd etc i don't listen to any of the studies or read any books to say you should not do this you should not do that etc. I use my brain and give the girls what i want to give them so they grow up knowing what is healthy and what is not etc ie - weetbix instead of fruit loops, water instead of fanta etc but i also do not believe in wrapping my kids up in cotton wool their entire life so i go with my motherly instincts and i must say i am a proud mother and love it when people tell you how good your kids are!!!

Jen

the thing with food additives is, they are in HEALTHY foods, im not talking about sugary drinks or lollies etc... i was giving my dd dried fruits thinking that was a healthy snack then discovered they are ladden with sulphites (sulphur dioxide)... some of the additives are banned in other countries, surely thats saying something? would you want your child eating something that is illegal in another country?

you can either give them 'healthy' seemingly normal food with dangerous food additives in it (dried fruits, breads, cereals, meats, cheeses etc) or healthy food with no nasties... its not really wrapping them in cotton wool, its being educated about the hidden things in foods you might otherwise assume are healthy, and also educating your kids too, so they can make good decisions....

i was just shocked when i discovered it so wanted to share, better to be knowledgable and made decisions from there than not to know and be feeding your kids chemicals, well thats what i think anyway.

Emma - i wasn't having a go at you or anyone else i hope you didn't take that the wrong way. sorry if you or anyone else has. I was just saying what i thought and that i refuse to wrap MY kids up in cotton wool. I am not saying that you are or anyone else is i was just saying that is how i see it.
    May i suggest to buy preservative free dried fruit as this is available and does not have nasties in it. Any organic or preservative free items don't but read the label just in case. It is much more expensive but worth it. But in most food items we eat as children and adults there are nasties in them i don't think we can ever get away from it unfortunately.

Jen

nah i didnt think u were having a go, dont worry xx
    yeah thats what i mean about being aware/educated and choosing the additive free stuff - my food shopping takes a bit longer now cos im always standing in the aisles reading labels to make sure i get the better/healthier option of the health food!!

i know alot of people just grab whatever is marketed for kids (ie those heinz baby fruit bars) not realising they're not good at all, cos thats what i used to do...

i actually think (or hope) preservative and additive free foods will be on the rise due to people becoming more aware and opting for the additive free foods for their kids... hopefully anyway!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12