Thread: Baby Games

rails2005 Guest

Default Baby Games

Can anyone tell me what I am suppose to do with this little baby all day she is only 3 months old and i cant find many toys for her. She has always been awake and alert during the day only sleeping for a max of 1 hour at a time since she came home, but she seems bored, i sit her in her bouncer, take her for a walk, sit her outside, she has a few toys and i read to her but all of these only interest her for 5 minutes then she gets annoyed and wants to be picked up - what are some games or toys i can get her to keep her amused or do I just have to play with her all day. Also can anyone tell me if those baby bouncing things you hang from the doorway are safe? a good Idea? and what age you can start using them? just that she loves to keep moving all the time???

Debbie Lee Guest

Rails - the Jolly Jumpers (the things that hang in the doorway) are great. Babies tend to love them. My MCHN warned against using them too much tho. As with baby walkers (which they advise against altogether), they can hinder the child's natural development from laying on the floor to crawling. They need to spend lots of time on the floor just figuring out how to get things working and moving.
    Have you tried having nappy-off time? Gabby just loves having her nappy off and spends ages every day just laying on the floor with a bare bum. Every time I change her nappy I let her have a play with it off. I just put a cloth nappy or a towel under her to stop her from weeing all over the floor. She plays much better with it off and will even roll every now and then a lot better with it off.
    With toys, I attach a few "Link-a-doos" to them so that she can get a better grip. She tends to drop toys and not be able to pick them up but the link-a-doos (like plastic chain pieces) help her to be able to pick them up again.
    Gabby did go through a stage where she didn't play very well for very long but she snapped out of it eventually. Hopefully your baby will too!
    HTH!!

Melinda Guest

Does she have a playgym? Jacob used to love his.

Here are a few other things I can think of:

~ Mirror (get a safe mirror that you can put in front of her for tummy time as babies love to look at themselves)
    ~ Show baby some photographs (they love looking at people). I used to take Jacob around the room and show him the photographs of people and tell him who they were etc.
    ~ Balls - big enough that they can't swallow. They seem to endlessly enjoy balls....and even toilet rolls LOL! (Be careful with the last one as everything makes their way into their mouth and they can quickly start to devour a toilet roll!)
    ~ Plastic bottles filled with coloured water or rice or pasta (make sure the lids are super-glued on).
    ~ Safe things from your kitchen cupboards like plastic containers etc that they can play with
    ~ Thread some big buttons onto a shoe lace and tie it together....makes a nice noice (you can buy the big buttons from craft shops)

Debbie Lee Guest

LOL Shannon... I was also going to suggest the Baby Einstein DVDs but maybe I should just say it quietly too.... ahhh, TV... the electronic babysitter

Melinda Guest

Just a word on the Jolly Jumper - when you are setting it up, make sure that your baby's feet touch the ground properly. Their entire foot needs to be touching the floor, not just their toes, so that they learn to bounce with their feet and not their toes (otherwise it can affect how they learn to walk later on apparently...so I was told anyway).

I'll be loud and proud - I put Baby Enstein on for Matthew once most days, he loves it. Best time is late afternoon when it's time to get dinner ready and we are waiting for dad to come home.

I didn't know that about the jolly jumper Mel, thanks for that.

Others here also use the kick n play carnival.

rails2005 Guest

Great thanks everyone some good ideas there. Where can i buy these baby dvd's she is captivated by tv but dont like her to watch it most of the time as there is nothing good for her to learn from it.

The usual suspects, K-Mart, Target, Myer, Big W. You can also get them on ebay but be careful as sometimes they are copies.

Debbie Lee Guest

They are just visually stimulating vision of things that are bright and colourful like toys and shapes and things that move. They have music in the background (classical I think??). I haven't got one myself but some girls at MG have had them on when I have been to their place. I plan on getting one soon.

I have a set of them and love them! They have themes like numbers, colours, nursery, baby shakesphere and they are put to classical music. One thing I do like it that there isn't much talking in them, just the pictures and music.