Thread: baby nails

rails2005 Guest

Default baby nails

Can anyone give me any good ideas for what i can do about my 3 month olds finger nails she is cratching her head & face till it bleads but i find even baby clippers are too big for her tiny nails. I use mittens at night but her hands are in her mouth and getting soggy & making her skin peel ???

have you tried a good quality nail file, the ones they use when doing false nails are really good and will file through in no time.

Hi rails2005,

I have usually sat the baby away from me (Their back to my tummy) in a well lit area.

Use baby nail sissors and just nick a small cut in the side. Then tear the rest across. Baby nails are soft and easy to tear and tear straight. You might also find it easier to do after a bath as baby is usually placid and nails are softer still. Doesn't hurt baby. Just do a few at a time and with a few goes they are all done.

Hth.

Debbie Lee Guest

I use nail clippers too (I have tried biting but to no avail!). The nail file is a good idea, Candice. You can actually get baby ones in little manicure sets. I just remembered I have some in the cupboard. Look out Gabby! Mumma's gonna file dem nails down!!

Melinda Guest

Hi there,

When Jacob was very little, I used to wait until he was asleep and then nibble at them. As he got a little bit older, I would use the nail clippers when he was asleep, or sit him on my lap and do them whilst he was preoccupied by DH or even the TV as he would just stare at that whilst I did them! LOL

Iwas told never to use nail clippers but to use a nail file or chew them off only.

I used a file at the beginning, and then moved onto clippers, but I hated clipping them cause once I actually clipped into a bit of Aidyns skin...
    So yeah, I would recommend filing, or 'tearing' them off.

I can really sympathise though, I went through a very long stage with Aidyn where he always had large scratches on his face from scratching himself, it was awful!

I've always used the nail clippers.... but I am used to clipping animals nails so I haven't thought anything about clipping Matilda's. I usually do it while she's feeding to have that distraction

Default Nails

I started biting Mackenzie's nails at first (they grow sooo fast!) and then when she was a little older (around 4 months) i purchased some small nail scissors (They are a Tommie Tippee brand.)which I found easy to use. I always cut her nails when she was asleep but as she got older I'd did it while my hubby was giving her a bottle. Now @ 12 months she will sometimes let me do it while she sits otherwise I do it when she is sleeping. As for her toe nails well that's a whole new ball game!. My husband holds her and her foot and I cut them as quickly as I can - not plesant. I also found with the scissors that I could hold the skin back more easily and cut at the same time. I read somewhere not to file their nails but can't remember why.

I do Zander's with clippers when he's asleep. He still ends up with scratches everywhere cos they grow so fast!

I have bcome phobic about cutting Jessica's. I nicked a finger when she was very tiny, using clippers, and it bled for ages, and I can't bite them. So they are longish and everyone complains, told mum to do them then cos I can't
    LOL