Thread: baby not eating

Default baby not eating

Other than his firts feed for the day, which he usually takes OK, Milo seems to be refusing to eat, even though he is quite obviously hungry.

At most feeds, he will take the first breast OK, but refuse the second ofetn screaming, no matter which side this is, and then furiously bite/chew his hands and drool. Sometimes after about 1/2 hour he will take the second breast, sometimes not til the next feed. So basically he seems to be having only half the normal amount of feeding.

My MCHN said that maybe he's getting more efficient, and one side is a full feed, but he sure does act hungry even though he cries if I try to feed him.

I'm going to take him to the GP & get a referral to a paediatrician, but it will take at least 3 days to get in to see our doctor, and I don't know if I can handle it til then.

I really think something else is going on and he's not 'full', but every time I talk to anyone they think I'm just a paranoid first time mum. ](*,)

Go with your instincts, Rachael. If you think something's not quite right then it's definitely worth getting it checked out, just in case. Can you get in to see another GP sooner?

How long has it been going on for? Does Milo seem to be in pain... could it be wind/colic? Do you think it might be the taste of the milk (ie maybe AF is returning)? Will he take EBM from a cup or spoon in the meantime?

Trust your instincts!!!
    Although obviously I am hoping Milo is happy & healthy...
    Indah only takes one side at a time & the rest of the time her hand is in her mouth & her first tooth has now cut through & gone back down twice in the last week!

yep, I am thinking teething may be a possibility, mum reckons that me and my brother had both cut 2 teeth by 4 months.

Other than the eating business, he seems mostly himself, maybe a bit more grizzly but he doesn't seem in pain etc.

He ate fine this evening, but overall its been going on for 4-5 days now. I'm going to try to get him to my GP asap & ask for a cancellation if they get one.

There are 2 other doctors there, one I refuse to see, the other I might go to, and still book in for my GP so I can get a referral. (Since we didn't see a paed. in hospital, I can't take him to one now without a ref.)