Thread: baby poo

Default baby poo

my 10 week old DD has just done a few really green poos,is this something to worry about or is it normal? she is breast fed.

Hollo, green poo generally indicated a high level of iron......ie your DD is fully stocked up with iron (from you and your breastmilk), so what she doesn't need is coming out in the colour of her poo.......so I don't think it is anything to worry about at all.........

i think poo varies with every bub. my bub isnt boobie fed but her poos change all the time. from green, to really dark green/grey, yellowish and sometimes the colour of peanut butter (lol sorry tmi )

I just saw my first green poo at MG today with a friends 7w old. I was dead shocked!! I didn't realise they could be spinach green??
    She had the same thing with her other daughter too - noone can tell her what it is, but bubs is happily putting on weight, so they say at the moment not to worry.
    I will pass on the iron theory Lucy - I dont htink she knew that.

normal!
    i think it is from too much fore milk, not enough of the hind milk....if you have a look on the aba website they mention it is common in the early weeks of oversupply. does she finish one side before getting offered the other?

It was my MCHN in Darwin that told me that Fi.......Olivia was a very green poo type of girl, and I freaked! I do eat a LOT of red meat, and when Olivia was a newborn I stuffed myself with pate every day (as I love it and craved it when I couldn't have it during pregnancy!) and my MCHN suggested that my iron levels and Olivia's were really high, hence the green poo.........(it may be an old wives tale, who knows??! LOL!)

Funnily enough, I am stuffing myself with pate all the time now too, so it'll be interesting to see what colour Lexie's poos start coming out as!!

Joh, that would make sense too........Olivia was a "snacker" who fed on the hour....so she was probably getting all fore and not enough hind........

Melinda Guest

My CHN also told me the thing about the excess iron.....

Joh - we had known about the fore and hind milk, but it seemed strange that the same thing in two babies from this mum - specialyl as they are much different feeders. We were pretty confident that her last baby probably wasn't getting the hindmilk, so she spent alot of time pumping etc, but this baby is a little piglet and is growing really well - plus spending heaps of time on the breast.
    I'm putting my money on something genetic - like an excess iron thing or something like that in my friends case. This poo was bright, bright, bright green!

Joh, that would make sense too........Olivia was a "snacker" who fed on the hour....so she was probably getting all fore and not enough hind......
    if that happens, you feed from one side til they stop. if it was a short feed (under say 30 min) next feed put them back on that breast til they stop. next time its the other one...

Quote Originally Posted by Fi View Post
    Joh - we had known about the fore and hind milk, but it seemed strange that the same thing in two babies from this mum - specialyl as they are much different feeders. We were pretty confident that her last baby probably wasn't getting the hindmilk, so she spent alot of time pumping etc, but this baby is a little piglet and is growing really well - plus spending heaps of time on the breast.
    I'm putting my money on something genetic - like an excess iron thing or something like that in my friends case. This poo was bright, bright, bright green!
    hmmm,, both my s got all colours, mostly peanut buttery colour/texture (tmi!!) - but sometimes spinach green or fluro green too. and im a vegetarian, but everytime ive had bloodtests for iron they've been really high. lots of red blood cells

Joh, Olivia was born in the NT, so I was quite happy for her to snack.....it was necessary, due to the climate....many of her "feeds" were for thirst only, so the foremilk was ideal.........

Also, it is tricky to place a time on a feed, I find, as all babies are different. For example, Charlie could drain a breast in 10 mins.......he would drain both in 20, then sleep for 5 hours........so he was evidently getting plenty of hind milk too, especially judging by his weight gains..........

sorry i wasn't suggesting limiting or timing feeds!:eek:

both my babies were ones that fed for hour at at a time, as often as they wanted. i meant if the boob wasn't empty yet not to swap

im by no means an expert

so its not dangerous to be having excess iron? she did have 60 mls of formula for the first time about 5 days ago? could it be this? it came out green basically the next day after the bottle and has remained green since.

Have you been eating licquorice? We snacked on some liccy allsorts one time and DD's poos were bright green for several days afterwards!
    :-)

Default Baby poos

I found with my son, that if he has growth spurts and is feeding much more than normal, he tends to have more on the 'green' side of colour poos. I have also been told this by some midwives.

HTH!

Hollo....what brand of formula did you use? NAN traditinally gives green poos.

The iron from breastmilk is much more easily absorbed than the iron in formula, so that may be where the issue lies. ie your baby easily absorbs the iron from BM, but struggles to absorb all the iron from the formula..........hence the poo goes green. Is the poo a pasty kind of texture too?

the formula was s26. but she only had a really small amount of formula i didnt think it would affect her poo that much or for as many days. it wasnt really pasty i dont think.

Jesse is bottlefed and his are the same as *~Maddisons Mummy~* 's baby.. also range from green to dark green to yellow to peanut butter looking ones from play dough like to peanut butter consistancy... id say its normal