Thread: baby poo...how often?

Question baby poo...how often?

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times- but I can't seem to find a thread for it so here it goes...

By adorable 5 week old does an explosive poo every 5 days or so. Initially she was doing a poo everyday but now days we find ourselves waiting arond for her to do one.

Is there anything I can do to make her 'go' more often? She is fully breastfed but seems to have a problem with wind and constantly farts- which can really unsettled her...

Please let there be something I can do...Another explosive poo...no thanks...LOL

It's a bit unusual to go so long between poos this early, I presume she's going ok otherwise? PLenty of wet nappies, weight gain etc? The only thing I can really think of at this age is a bit more milk to get things moving better... it might just be the way she is though.
    Breastfed babies do naturally tend to go longer between poos as they get a bit older (usually 2-3 months) - a couple of weeks even! And when they go....they really go.

My DD#1 did exactly the same thing at that age! She did grow out of it, can't remember how long it took.
    I don't think theres much you can do - breastmilk is the best thing for her - so youre doing a good job!
    Laying them on your lap bicycling their legs can help get the wind up, as can laying them on their tummies along your arm

My little one does this too. Can be 7 days before she goes for one and the couple of days leading up to that are full of loud and smelly farts (very ladylike). She's been like this since about 10 weeks old!!

My Dr told me to give her a small amount of brown sugar in some cooled boiled water but I haven't been game enough to do that! It sounds like a weird old wives remedy to me!!

Sue x

No. no sugar for babies. Sometimes the water can help if there's a problem, but it is quite normal for breastfed babies to go longer between poos.

Yeah, there was nnnooooooo way I was going to give her sugar. Just a bit surprised that my Dr recommended it and apparently if you ring the child health line with this problem this is what they recommend!!!!!! EEKK! (I have a friend who works for them).

S X

It was a while ago now so I can't remember exactly how old he was but my DS went for 12 days with no poo a few times!! It was a few months pre-solids and fully breastfed too so maybe 3-4mths and the mchn said Drs won't really worry until after 14 days unless he seemed distressed by it. If her tummy isn't sore or swollen when your massage it or cycle her legs, and she doesn't seem to be in pain I wouldn't be too worried. Breastmilk is perfectly formulated for them to digest and she is obviously using every bit she needs!!! Waiting for the explosion is the worst bit although my DS went 12 days then did a normal sized poo then another 10 after that once! Unreal!

ETA: My mchn recommended the sugar too do it must be a common way to make them go.

Oooooh yup, Elijah was like that too... on average probably 10 days... I almost got caught out at the shops one day though... was like mr whippy I swear! Wouldn't stop coming out My other 2 were almost every nappy kind of pooers so it was a nice change. Elijah is still like that, not 10 days, but he doesn't go every day. I've got to know when it's probably coming though cos he gets whingy and cranky that day. Doesn't seem to bother him not going every day though.

Thankyou everyone for your replies. It was reassuring to both me and DH. We had an arrival of the long awaited explosion at 3am this morning, requiring a bath and complete bed change and a very peaceful and restful sleep for DD.....

Seen I am breastfeeding, is there anything I can eat/drink that will help her go more regularly?

I have the poo-every-feed model of baby, I rarely get poopless nappies. His bottom is in constant action, either pooping or farting. I'm not sure which is worse, yours or mine

And I don't eat anything special! Just the same stuff I've always eaten.

Delphmoon, if this is the way her system works, there's not much you can or should do about it. Extra milk is probably the only thing that might make her go more often at this age.
    It is more typical for young babies to poo pretty much every time they feed, but they're all different of course.

My first baby was a poo-per-nappy kind of kid, but DD has been a 3-8 day girl since she was a few weeks old. You can always tell a poo day because she gets cranky before hand. I think as long as it is still soft and there is no straining then they are alright.