Thread: Baby poo question!

kriscee Guest

Default Baby poo question!

Hello all!

I have a question about my baby boy's poo.
    In the last 5 days or so he has started producing yellow jelly-like/mucousy poos around 3-4 times a day. They are pretty loose too.
    He is 3 months old and I feed him a mixture of breastmilk and formula.
    I am just wondering if it could be because he is on anti-biotics at the moment as he is just getting over a urinary tract infection?
    He is quite happy and chatty - so should I be worried? Could it be something I am eating?

I would appreciate any input!

Thanx

Hiya,
    I would talk to your Dr about it, cause it could be the antibiotics that is causing it.
    My Dr told me that in some cases if it changed their poo dramatically it could mean they are slightly allergic to the antibiotics. (My son was recently on them as well, which is why I remember what she said!)

Good to hear that he is still happy & chatty though. Hopefully it will settle down soon!

Matilda's poo changed to a runny yellow consistency while on antibiotics and it lasted for around 3 weeks. HTH, but like Ambah I would suggest letting your GP know.

kriscee Guest

Thanks for the advice.

Well, Adam came off his antibiotics on Friday and instead of doing a poo at about every 2nd nappy, he went a day without doing one at all (not that worried about that cause that is pretty normal for him) and this morning he must have done a really watery one because when I changed him the poo stain was there but whatever came out went straight through into his nappy! 8-[

christy wrote:
    Matilda's poo changed to a runny yellow consistency while on antibiotics and it lasted for around 3 weeks.
    Just wondering - when you say three weeks - was that from when Matilda was still on antibiotics? and how long after she finished them?

It does sound most likely to be the antibiotics.

The other thing that can create yellow jelly-like/mucousy poos in a baby that is BF is if the Mum is drinking a lot of orange/grapefruit juice........I went through a perios of drinking gallons of orange juice and it affected Olivia's poos big time!

sorry its taken me a while to respond, but Matilda's poo went back to normal around 3 weeks after she finished the antibiotics. And she definately did a few of those poos that were so runny they soaked into the nappy... HTH!