Thread: Baby powder

Default Baby powder

Hi all
    I vaguely remember hearing something about baby powder being a cancer risk when used on little girls. Is this a fact or? I havent used it yet...but was wondering if i can as it would be good for night time when she usually has a long sleep.

cant say i have ever heard this before but I have never used power on my girls and there bums have always been fine just need a good wipe in the morning as little girls can get a bit smelly.

It used to be bad because it was made from talc stone, but now it's made from cornflower, so it's perfectly safe to use on babies.

Celsie. xoxox

I managed to find this one the Choice website it is dated from 2004, so there may be some more up to date info out there:

removed - you can google "talc and Choice", the information is in an archive section and does not require payment to be viewed
    Personally I have found no need to use talc, I much prefer to use creams to prevent things like nappy rash.
    Last edited by Astrid; November 27th, 2007 at 01:29 PM. Reason: remove article

i agree, i have in the past read several things about baby powder not being a good choice for bubs, i now use creams instead.

I don’t recommend that you use talc. The main thing that it does it to make things smell nice and this is usually achieved by adding chemicals. Talc also soaks up the urine and holds it against the babies skin and thus increasing the chance of nappy rash.

Forgot to relate my story of trying to explain to MIL why we don't use talc. Told her about the link to ovarian cancer and her responce was "I used it on my 2 boys and they turned out ok". Well, ummmm, really didn't have the heart to point out to her that boys don't have ovaries.

Astrid is you MIL blond? LOL

Astrid- that has just made my night LOL now I know I'm not the only one in this world how always speaks before I have thought it through mind you half the time I still dont get what people are laughing about!!!

Not a blond, just a simple woman (I mean that in a nice way), but it was her standard responce to anything to do with parenting.

I started using talc at the insistance of my mother (she talc'd us for years, I can remember it being done), but found DS was a lot happier without it and less nappy rash - but that also could be because my mother insisted I only use disposable nappies at first. Once she left we were talc-free and cloth nappies and DS's bum looked a lot happier.

Mez, if you're worried about poo aggrivating the bum, you can just use some vaseline to form a protective barrier, but do wash it off in the morning.

I use the cornflower one on both my boys at night as their nappies are on a long time and find their skin nice and dry in the morning whereas it can be abit clammy if i don't. Never used talc though due to the health concerns.

Julie x

i got told not to use talc because it could be inhaled and cause probs... cant remember who told me that though.

i havent had the need to use any powder at all.. but my maternal health nurse recommended using cornflour instead of baby powder... just buy it from the supermarket. i have this on the chg table and also olive oil as i use this for massage (and currently for cradle cap) - to ppl coming in it looks like i am getting ready to cook DS!!

Oh so many replies! thanks everyone. I wont be using the baby powder i bought when i was pregnant I had to laugh at ur MIL's comments Astrid...so funny! I think sometimes they are so caught up in being 'right' about everything that they dont realise what they are saying!!