Thread: Baby seat in rear passenger side??

mum2billyjoseph Guest

Default Baby seat in rear passenger side??

My Ds is 3 1/2 months and I have just come back from a certified car fitter and I had asked him where the safest spot in the back of the car to put the baby seat was( We have a AHR Median Safe N Sound).. He said to me that the middle seat isnt necessarily the safest spot to put the baby seat.. we have a commodore where the the actual car seat rises in the middle so the babyseat isnt as sturdy when fitted there. Do you think its a bad spot to have the baby seat in the rear passenger side where he has fitted it? :-k

having it on the side is alot easier I can tell you that much. We had to have our capsule and now car seat in the middle for Lachlan as the bolt holes for the sides are off center, and it is a pain in the butt trying to get in there to get bubs out.

Love

Melinda Guest

It was my understanding that the rear passenger side position in the safest? Jacob's seat has always been there. It means that no matter where you stop the car, you are always getting the baby out onto footpath, rather than getting the baby out on the traffic-side of the road IYKWIM?

Plus as Kat said, it would be tricky having them in the middle.

My carseat manual recommended the rear middle seat as the safest place to put the carseat, and then the rear passenger side as the 2nd safest.
    We have Aidyn on the rear passenger side... I just dont think it would have been very good for our backs to have to reach over to the middle all of the time!
    Plus I can understand that if the rear middle is slightly raised, then it may make the seat a bit susceptible to becoming unsteady.

DD also sits on the rear passenger side. She had to anyway, when she was litle (she's in a booster now) because we had a Ford Laser then and the car seat wouldn't fit rearward facing in the middle - we would have had to put both diver and passenger seats forward and wouldn't have been able to drive the car!

Our car seat is in the rear passenger seat - it won't fit anywhere else! We have a small car though

When we first got ours installed it was there too in the rear passanger seat, atm Matilda's is in the middle because we were trying to fit 4 adults in the car & she loves being in the middle.

We have Kaitlyn in the middle seat as that is what we were told was safest. We have a 4wd so I just climb in with her ..pop her in and then get out again .

I've never really thought about it too much to be honest. We have an Astra hatch so it was easiest to fit it in the middle of the car; otherwise one of us would have our knees up around our ears! *L*

I like that I can glance over my shoulder and see how she is.

Edited to add - I think I sounded like an irresponsible parent in my initial post - aside from the size of car issue; I always intended to have the carseat in the rear middle as it seemed the safest choice.

Debbie Lee Guest

I was told that the centre was the safest. The next safest is the passenger side because of the reasons Melinda stated.

Gabby is on the rear passenger side. She was in the middle but I've had to put another car seat in the car for Paige, the little girl I look after. It's just easier to leave it in there permenantly so Gab had to move over. It's much easier to get her in and out but I did like her in the middle when we were driving. It's a lot easier to hand toys, dummy etc. to her hehehe.

Fire Fly Guest

I think it has a great deal to do with the size car you have. We have a 4wd so its easy to have a bub in the middle. DD was put in the middle because we to were told that was the safest place. She is now on the passenger's side and DS is in the middle.

I dont think car manufacturers allow for enough room in the back of sedans for car seats. Its sad because there are some nice cars out there but i wont go back to one because of the room issue.

Debbie Lee Guest

My original logic before I had Gabby was that the driver's side would be better. I only thought that because, in an accident, it's human nature to swerve the car to protect yourself when you are the driver. Therefore if the baby is on the driver's side, it will be protected too??
    I guess that's pretty warped, LOL.

We have Emma's on the rear passenger side. I always thought that was the safest, it probably depends on the car though. :-k