Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baby Signing

DH got the Baby Hands book for me online from the ABA store, and the signing pack is also available from them too. I can't remember where he got me the Auslan dictionary from... had to specially order it from somewhere as we couldn't find anywhere that stocked it!

Thanks Angel. Will have a look on ABA now! I'm excited!

Lee-Ann Guest

I've studied Auslan (was looking at becoming an interpreter) as my pop had a deaf brother and they use to sign to each other so that got me interested in sign language, anyway I had taught my two older daughters some signs but they don't use it anymore and as I'm not as exposed to the deaf community down here it's been hard even for me to keep it up. It's like any language if you don't use it you can lose it. Auslan also isn't signed english it's quite different. Anyway I'd be able to teach Regan some of the basic signs I taught my daughters.

How cool is this... I googled Auslan and it came up with the Auslan website. After registering, my DD and I are learning some of the words as they have video footage that you can view to see how to do the sign. Not sure if these are the same as the 'baby signing' signs but it's awesome.

I also got an Angus and Robertson book voucher for Christmas so I've had a look online to see what baby sign books are out there and getting local bookshop to order for me. As much as I'd like the kit from ABA if I've got a voucher it's more in my price range to use the voucher! The books I'mgetting chased up are American but that's ok by me. If anything helps Blake and I or DD and Blake communicate all the better!

I`ve just ordered the Hands Can Talk Baby sign book and chart reference, now i`m looking forward to it arriving so we can start basic baby signing.

Kate - The lady from Hands Can Talk has told me the best age to start signing is from 6 months and it all depends on the baby as to how quickly they pick the signing up.

Kate, no it won't delay them learning to talk. I've read that with some babies it actually encourages them to start talking sooner

Kate I got a couple of books from the library - an american one to start with whilst I was waiting for an australian one I had on reserve.

My DD and I are loving it and using it all the time. DH was a bit sceptical at first and teasing me about it... BUT I saw him last night talking to Blake and doing the sign for 'dog' when the dog walked passed!

It's pretty easy - we even started by going to the auslan website which has an online 'dictionary' so you can see someone signing a word you choose. It's great.

There was also an article in last weekend's Age magazine on baby signing... anyone else see it?

I managed to teach my 18month old niece "drink" over 2 days at Christmas time which was great fun. Although the cheeky little thing was already self signing - she would pat her head to get the cat in the hat DVD put on and that is the sign for hat!!! She is talking more now but gets frustrated when she knows what she wants but noone can understand her.

Sesame Street and Play School do a lot of the baby sign as part of their singing. I am not sure if this is deliberate (although probably not originally) but if you can remember back (or watch it now) look at the hand movements for car / driving, bus etc. The wheels on the bus is a good one!!

Kate, the article was fairly complimentary although they did look at both sides. There were kids who were signing brilliantly, whose parents had started signing when they were about 6 months old (the kids wee probably 18mths-ish).

It did say that by grade two the kids would have evened up with non-signing kids but I really I think any advantage, and anything that can increase the opportunity for communication is great. And most of all, to me, it's fun. I think it's great that I know how to sign!

I just ordered the tiny Hands bbok and chart too! BTW, what is Makaton? I am unsure of the difference between Auslan and Makaton. I know that Auslan is the Aussie deaf language, but Makaton is.....a way of delivering that language?? I'm a bit confused.

Hayseed

Makaton is a condensed version of signing designed for people who are unable to speak/can't be understood when speaking (as opposed to the hearing impaired).

There's some good descriptions of makaton if you do an internet search on the term.

belmarks Guest

wow baby signing is pretty popular, Im gonna go and google some info right now and get started soon.

thanks for this girls!!

I use babysigning with Eyrkah though she is yet to sign back. I am concentrating on signs around feeding.

I have a book and dvd from the UK that my mum bought. I have booked in for a class near us with tinytalk and also arranging for the instructor to come to do a class for my mothers group. Will let you know how I get on.

It is good to read how others are getting on with signing. I can't wait for erykah to sign her first sign.

Jo

Kate

If you go to the tinytalk website there is a class in carrum downs on the 1st March. That is where we are going. It is $15 and a 1 hour class.

Jo

Thinking of trying baby signing here. Getting a free chart via email, but I am wondering what book to get. I still have a discount voucher for the ABA site, so I might buy through there.

Do both parents have to be really involved with this, or just one parent enough? DH is fine with me trying this, but I don't want him to ruin things.

LMAO Fletch!!!

angel_eyes Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nellbe
    One of our Maternal Health Centres here in Werribee holds them, so maybe check with the council?

I have seen Meet the Fockers, wasn't sure if that was truly it though!
    Janelle do you know which MHC in Werribee hold the classes?

I'm very interested in this.

Thanks in advance

How is everyone going with this? Since getting the Tiny Hands stuff, I have been signing "mummy" and "daddy" and "dog" and cat" (just started this one). Nothing yet from Pup. Pup seems to think it is a bit of a joke when I sign mummy. He sits there are laughs!!!

How many signs should I be doing to him atm?

(by the way, what does ETA mean??)

Fletch, PMSL at your "find"

I think I need to do a class somewhere, but I'll bet anything there is nowhere closer to me than Melb which would not really be an option.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast