Thread: Baby signs

Default Baby signs

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, I had a look around but couldn't see anything already written about this. Has anyone tried signing with their babies as a way of communication before they can talk? I have been reading about this lately and it seems like a good idea, but I'd obviously like to hear some first had stories!

tia,
    Bec

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Bec
    I did a BB search on this last night and came up with NIL - amazing to see your post tonight.:eek:
    I went to the site and downloaded the basic signs two days ago and I am planning on using it with my twins.They say you can start from 6 months but I have been doing a few things already signing to them. Thye think I am funny atm.

DH and I are going to try signing with this Bubba... it does make alot of sense.
    Best of luck with it Sasha
    Trish - I'd love to hear how your boys go with it

There used to be quite a big thread on baby signing. I know Angel is an advocate.

We've been signing with Blake since he was about 5-6 months and he is now signing back and had been for sometime. It doesn't always work and he's adapted some of the signs so they work for him, but we understand each other and that's what it's all about. I'll have a look to for the other thread.

There are some good baby signing books and courses around too.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

where is the link to the other thread ?

Yeah, we've been signing for ages now but I only do about 6-8 basic signs LOL. Kynan picked up on what they meant very quickly but has been slower in signing back. He has signed 'milk' (for a BF) for quite some months though, as well as 'eat', and occasionally 'drink'. I have the Auslan dictionary so we use signs out of that (some of them I've altered slightly so they're easier for Kynan to sign!). Kynan's also made up some of his own signs, like 'phone' in which he presses his palm to his ear.

Thanks for your replies, everyone - in typical pregnant fashion I posted this and then forgot about it *blush!* I think it's something we'll definitely go for; all the research I read seems to indicate it helps with their speech later on. Glad to hear some positive stories!