Thread: Baby sleeping on back

Default Baby sleeping on back

I have a niggling little worry about placing baby to sleep on his back. Sorry if it's a silly question, it just pops into my head each time I think about only ever sleeping on his back. What happens if he vomits?? Does his coughing reflex kick in and he'll be ok? or what?

I know it's recommended they sleep on their backs for SIDS reasons, but I just can't help worrying about that bit of overflow or vomit if he's flat on his back.

Can someone put my mind at ease that he'll cough like anyone else would, and not just silently choke?

When they are on their back their head is turned to the side so the vomit just dribbles out of their mouths. When they are old enough to turn their head I would think it would be a natural reaction to turn their head and babies have a very strong gag reflex so it would be hard for them to swallow and choke on their vomit.

Indah just turns her head when she vomits & the dribble runs down her face, the whole time she is fast asleep!
    I think they just have a natural instinct?

jay+tyler Guest

i agree i thinks it's a natural reaction they turn there heads to the side jayden all ways slept on back but im in a bit of a worry to cause tyler only goes to sleep on his belly so that worries me i check on him every 5 minutes

Emma's head is ussually to the side too. She doesnt vomit much in her sleep though either.

Excellent. Thanks girls. I kinda thought it probably wouldn't be a problem.. after all you don't hear anything of babies choking in their sleep! Just one of those niggling little worries that pops into my mind.

Thanks again.

Kirsty77 Guest

Don't worry I was thinking that as well when Gemma was newborn!I was paranoid about it and would put her only on her side in case she vomited!

jay+tyler Guest

i spoke to community nurse today and got in trouble cause tyler sleeps on belly and she said you really need to be putting him on back for sids reasons which im aware of but thats the only way he wants to sleep so its hard but im goin try and persits with it so ya bub is prob better off on back