Thread: baby suncream gives rash

Default baby suncream gives rash

g'day all!

it hit a whopping 45 degrees in perth today AND the power went out for a few hours so i thought it would be a good idea to get DD in the pool to cool off. I lathered her in baby suncream 20 mins before going in and now DD is covered in a rash!

The suncream i have for DD is banana boat baby roll on suncream. Are there any other types of baby suncream or are the pickings pretty slim?

TA!

We have a good one here in the pharmacy - It's called "UV Natural" and is rather exxy, but a zinc base and I've had great success with it.

Hamilton's also do a baby one that's OK, I have some samples of it here ...

I understand the zinc base ones are better as they create a physical barrier rather than a chemical barrier. Maybe speak to your pharmacist about which ones to avoid?

I use a sunscrean for sensitive skin instead of baby sunscreen and have never had a problem with it. The thing is, even the baby sunscreens haven't actually been tested - it's illegal to test things on babies! The cancer council recommends keep babies covered up instead of putting on sunblock. Not helpful when you're going out for a swim, but just thought you might like to know.

I think just try different sunscreens and use the one that she doesn't react to (if there is one).

P.S
    I'm in perth too, and IT IS REVOLTING! Thank goodness we have an airconditioner. Trouble is, its only in my parents bedroom so the four of us have been camping in there all day lol.

I use a natural sunscreen on the kids, I get it from Natures Child, it's called Soleo Organics 30+SPF. No nasty chemicals

The cancer council do one too for bubs - in a green tube from the chemist. I have seen suoer cute rashies and pants that you can have bubs name put on too which would be good for swimming...

Mmmm, I'm hoping to pick up some rashies (why are they called that?) in the sales for Pip!

they stop you getting a rash when surfing, hence rash vest or rashie!

Megan gale also makes (well not her personally, but she's on the box!) a zinc based sunscrean for kids.

I have seen that UV Natrural in health food stires too.

I got the UV natural one in a Macro store- not sure if you have them in WA, and Megan Gale one is called Invisible Zinc and is free of lots of nasties. The UV natural one is thick and greasy, and quite excy - I would maybe try a sensitive skin one too and see how you go.
    Good luck!