Thread: From Baby to Toddler when does it happen??

katanya Guest

Default From Baby to Toddler when does it happen??

I have been pondering this of late..do I have an older baby or a toddler? And when do you call them stop calling them a baby and start calling them a toddler..when they walk?

So would this mean a 18 month old still learning to walk would be a baby?

Or a 9 month old who is walking confidently is a Toddler??

Now Felix is 13 months old we got a update from a site that send developmental news about their ages.. it said instead of my Baby this week it said for the first time..My toddle this week..so I figure by their judgement he is a toddler..and since he's now walking..no problem..

It's just that everyone else children and adults still calls him a baby??

What would make you decide to call a child one or the other, when did you stop calling them baby?

I think we said Alex was a toddler when he was walking "properly", which was about 15 months.

We stopped calling Aidyn our 'baby' around his first birthday. We just kept noticing how much he was growing and learning, not to mention starting to show his independance... and we just knew that he wasn't our 'baby' anymore... he was growing into a wonderful little boy, and it should be recognised.
    But I have to say, the word Toddler become so much more real when they actually do start toddling around everywhere, like he has been doing for the past couple of weeks

I would say toddler when they start toddling So around walking age, for us Paris didn't walk till 17 mths so we had a few extra months LOL! But no matter how old she gets she'll ALWAYS be my baby

*hugs*
    Cailin

katanya Guest

Ahh so it is genrrally when they sre toddling? If so I feel sorry for mothers who's babies walk at 9 mths..

Yeah I said a toddler from when they walked and Kam was a week of 19mths old. But I call Lachlan a toddler now cause he walks when he can if he is holding onto someone or something, just not independantly. But having said that they probably loose "baby" a bit at 12mths old.

Love

Just saw this.... we stopped calling Matilda a baby around 10 months when she was walking confidently....now she's our big girl

Pietta Guest

Uh-oh I am going to have a toddler soon then!!

He is already in the toddler nappies....

katanya Guest

He is already in the toddler nappies....
    Pee my walking "toddler" is still in a huggies crawler when he wears disposables 8-[ he has just grown out of 00 pants , but just had a hge growth spurt and is now a size 0-1 length pants..unfortunately the height has made his bum small again..

LOL Pee, dont worry, Aidyn was in the toddler nappies when he was 8 months as well... he was still our (big) baby though

A child is called an Infant from birth to 12 months. From then on they are called a Toddler. So even if a nine month old is walking well, they are still an infant until they reach 12 months.