Thread: Baby Toiletries/Baby oil

julesr Guest

Default Baby Toiletries/Baby oil

I don't know about anyone else but I'm completely bewildered by the sheer amount of different baby products on sale! I've simply got no idea what is good basic stuff and what is just not necessary. My mum is a big Johnson's fan (as I guess most people of her era are) and has said that you should use baby oil on all their creases (eg behind knees, elbows, neck) rather than cream.

While I don't necessarily subscribe to the theory that everything "natural" is therefore gentle and everything manmade is harsh, I can't help but notice I have never actually seen a recommendation to use baby oil anywhere - just sorbolene/glycerine, barrier cream, water and perhaps a mild soap. My hubby suffered badly from eczema as a baby (still does in winter time) so I'm going to be quite particular about the skincare of my bub in case he takes after his daddy.

I was wondering if anyone might have any input on good, basic toiletries for babies? I'm also a bit curious about the baby oil thing, because Mum is adamant that it is better than cream (and no, she hasn't been the least bit overbearing with baby care advice at all so it's not a case of her forcing opinions on me).

Personally I don't use much at all... I don't use creams at all, I use light olive oil (the stuff I would cook with) for massage and mostly just water in the bath, occasionally a little j&j baby bath - about 1/4 of what they recommend works fine (I use it more because I have it than because I think it's the best available IYKWIM). If you are worried about eczema then I believe the j&j may not be the best, but I don't have any personal experience sorry.

Sensetive skin does run in my family & I ONLY bath my girls in Bicarb soda in their bath water...
    I add about a teaspoon to Indah's bath water & about a table spoon to Maddys' she does use normal shampoo & conditioner though...
    I have never had problems with that...

I've read that baby oil is actually not so good for their skin. Can't remember why now so hopefully someone else will know. Mostly we use plain water to bath Kynan, and sometimes add a bit of oatmeal in a stocking to the water (gentle & soothing for bub's skin) or a natural based product. For shampoo I like aromababy.

I think there's a petroleum base or something in baby oil & it can burn the skin...

I remember when the MCHN came out to our house when Mackenzie was 2 days old and told me not to use any J & J products or soaps on her skin. She actually told me to throw them out. I have only ever used water on her (she has very mild eczema and I've had it all my life) in the bath and I put sorbolene on her when she gets out and this seems to have worked well. Just a side point - I did notice that the new huggies wash states on the back not to be used without consulting your doctor if your child has asthma - in very fine print. Not sure why but asthma and eczema seem to go hand in hand so i've stayed away from that too. For massaging I always used organic olive oil - the same stuff I cook with. If you use cooking oil stay away from the nut oils (peanut oil etc) incase your little one has a nut allergy. Good luck!

I have always used Johnsons products on all of my kids without any problem. Love the smell of them. I like my babies to smell nice and clean Although last year Tehya started to get alittle eczema, so the Johnsons was out of the door for a while and we used Sebamed baby bath wash. It is PH balanced and unlike all most of the other sensitive skin stuff it smells great. I get it from a chemist outlet for $21 for 1 litre so it's reasonably priced and that litre lasts forever.

Never been a huge baby oil user either. I do put a tiny little squeeze in the bath water if they are a little dry. Now you can get the bath dispersable oil which is alot better than the other one.

I was given Avent stuff at my baby shower, but it really dries out his skin so I don't use it anymore. I now use Gaia products and love em. Mostly the bath gel and the moisturiser at the moment. They smell lovely, and actually help him sleep.. must be the lavender and the chamomile They're nice and natural, DH has a big thing about chemicals in soaps, so we really like Gaia. DH makes his own soap, but doesn't make it for baby, as its hard to get pH levels right, otherwise he probably would.

I dont use powders or creams or oils or anything. Only a bit of moisturiser after his bath. I tried bathing in just water, but he didn't feel very clean. His hair comes out nice and fluffy if washed with something

My little girl has very dry skin so I use alfa keri in the bath (which is great to get moisture in the skin and is good for sensative skin). My DH also gets eczema and finds that this stops him from itching. After her bath I need to coat her in urederm or else she dries out - this is also great. I've tried a few other things but find that she gets too dry with them.
    I don't use any shampoos, just wash her hair (she doesn't have much) in the bath water.

I was using the johnsons baby night bath (purple one with lavender). TOTALLY dried her skin, so now all i use in the bath is QV bath oil, fabulous. I only ever use oil to massage her tummy now, and have found it doesnt' dry her skin. i use a baby oil with aloe vera in it for that. Other than that the only products I use are powder for the nappy and wipes. That's it. xo

Ellibam Guest

We hardly use any thing! maybe once a week we might put a squirt of j&j in the bath but thats it. and thats just because we have it! i was given powder and oil but haven't used any of it

I use sorbolene cream in the bath and Lucas' paw paw ointment sometimes on her bottom if I think it looks a little red (she hasn't had nappy rash). We used to have mothers swear by that when I worked in the pharmacy. It's sold in Woolies in a red tub and doesn't cost very much.

Usually though I just use a wet washer to clean her bottom and sorbolene to massage her. When she's older I will probably use cold pressed almond oil to massage.

I was very worried about dry skin as I have ezcema and asthma (mostly gone now) but Lucy has the most beautiful soft and moist skin. Let's hope it stays that way!

I use that paw paw ointment too when his bottom gets a little red. But I read somewhere that it has petroleum stuff in it too?? I haven't as yet researched to comfirm that or not. If it has, I'll be looking for something else. But I use pawpaw for everything myself.. chapped lips, healing small cuts etc.

ETA: just did a quick search - found this written on another forum

i called lucas' hq in queensland to get a run down on the ingredients in their product. i was told that they use a PETROLEUM base. of course this is a completely synthetic product that is an obvious toxin and one that my son has severe reactions to.

on the paw paw ointment tub the listed ingredients are "fermented fruit (and) potassium sorbate" no mention of petroleum.

the woman i spoke to was downright rude, stating that lucas' had every right NOT to declare the ingredients on the container. she is right (according to trade practices) and what they are doing is completely legal but IMO, hardly ethical. she also stated that the company always informs people who call them, about the actual ingredients. my point to her was that in my case (and i'm sure other peoples') i called AFTER a problem occurred, a situation that wouldn't have happened if the container was adequately labelled. she was unable to address this point, only spouting out (continually) how the company was "within its legal rights" to not label.
    have done a little online research and found that there is a product called "simmons paw paw salve" that contains no petroleum.
    I've seen that simmons one on an online pharmacy. Might use that instead.
    Last edited by Liz; May 19th, 2006 at 11:35 PM.