Thread: baby weight

Default baby weight

just wondering how much your bubs weighed at 5 -6 months? my DD is 5 1/2 months and is 7kg, and is following the curve properly on those growth charts, i think its 50 -75 percentile but can't remember. its just that a lot of people have been commenting that she is 'so small', i don't know whether they mean as in weight compared to others her age or just that she is small cause she is 5 months old. i am not too worried just wondering how she stacks up to others her age i suppose?

My daughter only weighed about 4.8kg at 6months!! As long as she is growing in proportion, and eating well, i wouldnt be too bothered!! I saw a little girl at the drs the other day, full term bub who was smaller than my daughter. She was prolly about the size of a newborn!! Her parents just said she's always been small, and there's nothing at all wrong with her!! Dontstress, im sure your DD is beautiful, and just perfect...

maggie Guest

Hi, DS is 18weeks, so a little over 4 mnths and weighs 7.2kg,, he was born 3.8kg..

A friend of mine her DS is 8 mnths old, and weighs 7.8kg, so i think yours sounds perfectly fine

Hollo, I wont tell you the weights of my three, cause they were all different at that age - Lindsay was a very large baby and the girls were smaller, but they were nearly identical. Paige was 2 inches longer than Erin was at the same age, so she always looked skinnier than Erin, and Lindsay was just a big fat chubby bub.

According the the WHO charts I have your little one is following along the middle centile so she is exactly average I suppose you could say, which is a perfectly fine place for her to be. What is her length though, shorter babies look smaller than longer ones too.

She sounds like she is doing just great and is where she should be. I think people comment based on their own experiences of babies and children too - if they have only ever known little heffelumps, then any other baby will look small and visa versa.

My girls are so different as well, Madison at 6 months(FF) was about 8 kg's and Charlotte (BF) at 6 months old is 6.695kg's.
    All babies are so different.

I have a 50th percentile bub as well, and lots of people make the same comment. She eats and feeds well, just seems to be lots more bigger than the really really old average of the WHO charts around.

My son is 7.5 kgs at 4mths but he is a buddha.

Babies will weight whats good for them, if they dont fit in with the norm who cares as long as they are healthy.

I was only a very small baby and was lucky to weigh 10 kgs by the time I was 10mths old!

I would try not to worry about what people are saying, you will knwo yourself if they are happy and healthy. My DD weighs about 7.5 - 8kg now and she is 9 months. Her cousin who is 4.5 months weighs the same. As long as she is gaining weight and happy she is perfectly fine.

Fee Guest

There's nothing wrong with 50-75th percentile! That's above average. Don't let anyone worry you. All babies are different.

DS is 6 months and 8.3 kgs. He is in the 75th percentile.

Isla is 11 weeks & 6kg
    The boys followed the same kind of pattern, massive weight gains really fast but by 12 months they were still only around the 11to 12 kg mark. Glenn was massive as a baby yet at 2 & half is only 14 kgs. So he hasn't gained a heap in the last year or so.

My boy is exactly 8 kgs and he's 4.5 months old now...he's a big boy (tall and chubby) though.

Jesse weighs 8.8kg and is only 4.5 months! :eek: but he is quite tall .. both DH and i are tall and so is my father/brother etc. He doesnt look over weight and doesnt feed any more than the recommended amount. But i also think boys are different than girls. My niece is tiny, and always has been. Girls always seem more danty than boys i think.
    All bubbas are different and have their growth spirts at different ages too..

Matilda was only 8kg at 1yr old. They are all so different, Matilda has always been tall & lean. I was envious of all the other babies who had fat rolls LOL, but she's kept the same pattern all along.

Jovie has a few fat rolls but she is only 11 weeks so we'll see what she does as she grows