Thread: Bad dribble rash (?)

Default Bad dribble rash (?)

Jack has had really bad dribble rash on and off since he started teething. Roughly about 2 months ago it came and seems to have stayed for good! It looks dreadful, all around his mouth and some days is red raw. At the moment he has scatched himself and made a couple of bits bleed. I have tried, pawpaw ointment, vasoline, hydraderm, egoderm and egocort. Nothing seems to work. Has anybody any suggestions because he really is looking manky!

Jo

Awwwwwww isn't there anyone out there who can help me??

JOJA, I don't think that there is anything else you can try. The only thing I might suggest is the obvious trying to keep it as dry as possible and when he goes down at night put a really thick layer of something like Bepanthen (sp) on it. You can get that from a chemist or even at Woolies I think. Anything that creates a barrier, treat it just like a bum rash, dry and protected. HTH

Take care
    Trish

Hi Jo

Hope you are able to find something to help. Sorry was not able to help you.

Thanks Trish & Michelle!

I'm trying to figure out if it may be caused by an allergic reaction to something???? So far I have cut out peanut butter and also using nappysan on his humphrey toy that he takes to bed.

Jo

JOJA, I don't think it's an allergic reaction, because Brandon has something that sounds the same, and all he has is soy formula, no solids yet.

Have you tried (I have no idea of the merits of this, but it worked when Brandon was rubbing the skin beneath his ears raw) getting a slice of fresh aloe vera and smearing the juice on the raw bits? Aloe vera dries and seals the area, even when the skin doesn't seal up itself. Or you could use a handheld blender and make a paste from fresh aloe vera. That will keep for a week in a closed container on the bench.

Hi Susan, I will give the aloa vera a go next!! i popped into the chemist today and he said the same as you- that it wasn't an allergic reaction. I now have another cream to try. This one is called Dermeze and was developed by the Melb Royal Childrens Hospital. I also have some oatmeal shampoo to use in the bath as opposed to the J&J baby bath, soap & shampoo that I have been using. The Pharmacists daughter has the same problem and that is what they use, so hopefully it'll work with Jack.....

Many thanks
    Jo

Oooh, we've been using them for his excezma and cradle cap. The oatmeall shampoo in combination with olive oil overnight seems to have done the trick with the cradle cap, but we found the QZ wash (in case they gave you that as well) did nothing to stop itching.

The doctor told us to get Dermeze because the dermatology clinic for excezma swear by it, but it just seemed to make Brandon more itchy, so we only used it the once, and haven't touched it since.

We have been using the Dermasoft on his face (hydrocortisone cream) but we got prescribed Elocon for the body, and we just use a tiny bit at night and that has worked brilliantly.

Hope that helps. Brandon's chin has calmed down a lot today, will have to see if it gets worse overnight again.

Well it's only been 1 day and it doesn't look quite as sore as yesterday...I'm holding my breath hoping that we have cracked it!! What a bad mum I've been bathing my son in all those chemicals. (LOL)

Hope you have cracked it with Brandon, and his chin is better. I just feel awful sometimes when I look at Jack and see his face, even though I have been jumping through hoops to try and clear it up!

Cheers Jo

Just thought I'ld update on Jack's dribble rash.

Woohoo it's GONE!! We have put it down to, originally dribble rash, then by me making it worse by washing him in all those chemicals! So Jack obv has a little problem with using J&J products (and the rest) I'm so pleased that it has finally gone. Well a little comes back when he has been dribbling a lot, but it doesn't hang about!

Yayyyyy that's great news Jo.
    Hope it does not come back as bad again.

Marcia Guest

Just a quick question. Did you use the oatmeal shampoo as a soap in the bath as well as using it to wash his hair? Just asking as Hudson looks like he is getting some eczema and we also use J&J bath stuff atm. Thinking of trying this oatmeal shampoo as a bath liquid if it has worked well for others :-k .

Hi Marcia, all I do is put two drops of oatmeal shampoo in the bath water. I don't use it like a bodywash. But I do use it to wash his hair. The pharmacist assured me that this was all babies needed.

Give it a go, it's called Dermaveen. I hope it clears up Hudson's rash.

hi there ladies

just out of curiosity and forgive me if it is obvious in the above posts (i'm so tired my eyes are blurry) what ended up working on the dribble rash??

My son Brodie has just developed it this week and it seems to be getting worse....was it the Aloe Vera that you used in the end?? or the Dermaveen??

thanks in advance

there JOJA glad to har your little man's dribble rash has cleared up my little guy also had this problem and was really sensitive to most baby products like the J&J ( he also suffers from a bit of eczema) just a sugestion for anyone else who is having similar probs we found a bit of cornflour carefully applied ( you dont want bub breathing it in) on the area helps to keep it dry and also I fully reccomend the hamiltons range of skin products like the body wash , moisturiser and bath oil these are much more gentle and suitable for sensitive baby skin